ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wokingham postman comes to the rescue of injured man in street

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Wokingham postman comes to the rescue of injured man in street

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... d-10787956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

A postman from Wokingham proved to be a lifesaver after performing first aid on a man who was involved in a crash in the town.

Tony Peet, 54, of Frederick Place, had stopped at the food van in Reading Road with his wife Tracy, when the man, believed to be in his 20s, was struck by a car.

He was flung across the road and hit the wall surrounding St Paul’s Church, head first.

Mr Peet, who works for the Royal Mail in Wokingham, said: "I ran across the road and found he had a huge gash in his head, he was unconscious, and was obviously bleeding heavily from the wound.

"I checked he was breathing, cleared his airway, and then applied pressure to his head using a scarf.

"After three or four minutes he came around but then went into shock."

"I didn't feel like a hero"

The patient was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford where tests revealed no fracture to the skull, but he had broken his leg in six places.

The man's father called Mr Pett that Sunday to say his son was alive and well and thanked him for everything he had done.

Mr Pett added: "I certainly didn’t feel like a hero, but I must admit to being hugely relieved to get a call from his dad to say he was okay.

"I really think more people should learn first aid – you never know when you may need it."

St John Ambulance provides workplace first aid, plus health and safety courses for more than 55,000 people every year across the South East.

The charity’s regional training manager, Deborah Adwent said: “I’d like to congratulate Tony on helping in what must have been a traumatic situation.

“We aim to give people the confidence and skills to provide first aid when the time comes.

"Tony did just that, so we're proud of him and proud of the local trainer, Tom Brindley, who taught him."

For more information on St John Ambulance, including how to make a donation, volunteering opportunities, and details of training for the public, schools and businesses, visit http://www.sja.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call 0303 003 0101.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.