ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... t-1.916397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cupar posties are staging a 24-hour walkout today in support of a sacked former colleague.

Around 40 posties downed tools at around 8.30am on Saturday to stage a one-day strike in support of David Mitchell, 57, who was accused of stealing mail by his former employers at Royal Mail.

Mr Mitchell subsequently won his case for unfair dismissal at an employment tribunal and a judge ordered his reinstatement, but the firm has steadfastly refused to give the 57-year-old his job back.

That prompted Saturday’s 24-hour walkout at the Cupar Delivery Office as his friends and former workmates vented their anger at the situation.

“I really wish it hadn't come to this and it shouldn't have,” Mr Mitchell told his former colleagues ahead of the strike. “I can’t think of the best way to thank you, but I am so proud of you all.”

Royal Mail has appealed against the judge’s decision and a ruling on that is expected within a matter of weeks.

Mr Mitchell’s partner Hilary Lumsden said: “It was very emotional – there were posties’ wives there in tears, I was in tears, Dave was in tears…

“It really was something else to see them walk out.”

The striking posties were also offered a free pint at The Station Bar across the road to help keep their spirits up.

Expressing his support for the local postal workers, North East Fife MP Stephen Gethins said: “I know that Dave has a great deal of support throughout the community and I hope this gives him heart at this very difficult time.

"I hope Royal Mail will take on board the high level of local opposition and reverse their stance."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Wonder why they downed tools at 08.30,Maybe so they got paid 2 or 3 hours for today rather than lose a whole days pay maybe?
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by P13 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:Wonder why they downed tools at 08.30,Maybe so they got paid 2 or 3 hours for today rather than lose a whole days pay maybe?
Or maybe they wanted to walk out of the office in front of the manager and supporters as opposed to just standing at the gate
Rowdy
Posts: 133
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by Rowdy »

P13 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:Wonder why they downed tools at 08.30,Maybe so they got paid 2 or 3 hours for today rather than lose a whole days pay maybe?
Or maybe they wanted to walk out of the office in front of the manager and supporters as opposed to just standing at the gate
Thank you, yes , you got it
Down with the blackleg, all workers unite.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes I have to say Cupar are playing this very cannily. Getting public support actually on the picket line, which is why they went out at 0830, lots of mentions in local, regional and national press. Even luminaries such as local MPs are backing the cause. Perhaps the Union may like to join in :whistle :shhhhh :shhhhh
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by aiden01 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes I have to say Cupar are playing this very cannily. Getting public support actually on the picket line, which is why they went out at 0830, lots of mentions in local, regional and national press. Even luminaries such as local MPs are backing the cause. Perhaps the Union may like to join in :whistle :shhhhh :shhhhh
Seriously tbt do you honestly think union will join in no chance their balls dropped long ago
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by P13 »

aiden01 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes I have to say Cupar are playing this very cannily. Getting public support actually on the picket line, which is why they went out at 0830, lots of mentions in local, regional and national press. Even luminaries such as local MPs are backing the cause. Perhaps the Union may like to join in :whistle :shhhhh :shhhhh
Seriously tbt do you honestly think union will join in no chance their balls dropped long ago
Our Area Rep was asked if we had any plans to support our colleague at Cupar,the look on his face as he waffled on about something summed it up. Frankly our union is a shadow of itself,too many colleagues and union officals looking after themselves.
Justiceseeker
Posts: 65
Joined: 30 Sep 2015, 19:02
Gender: Female

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by Justiceseeker »

Its the posties in the end who bring about the strike. Cupar and the Union worked together to get this strike off the ground. Proves it can be done.

Imagine you've been working beside your mate for 27 years, having a laugh while you sort the mail, the next day he doesn't come in. He's suspended. That's all you know. He can't speak to you. You don't know what happened. Management say nothing. 18 months later once the snail pace RM disciplinary process takes place then waiting for the legal procedures to go through you find out the real story - the Union invite your work mate to come in to a special meeting to tell you exactly what happened. You act because next time it could be you.

The public were there because they love Dave, he's a local celebrity but he deserves it because he is, bottom line, the best guy you could know.

The KY and FK delivery all offices showed their support of Dave, the Cupar posties and the Union. Unbelievable acts of selfless human kindness today.

Take heart and if you want to join the fight!
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by daveyeff »

whats the next steps.
Jambomatt1874
Posts: 168
Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 19:26
Gender: Male

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by Jambomatt1874 »

What's the background to this story? Why has rm taken this stance after a tribunal and why was he originally in the position?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Jambomatt1874 wrote:What's the background to this story? Why has rm taken this stance after a tribunal and why was he originally in the position?
Most of the 2 pages in this search are about the case http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by Decky Boy »

Fair play to all those at Cupar who walked out. David Mitchell was found not guilty in a Court of Law yet his boss and Royal Mail will not reinstate him ???
I was tempted to await the outcome of Royal Mail's appeal before posting.... but quite frankly... "I smell shite". Much as I love our company (who pay my wages and put food in my mouth) I think some of those at the top need to have a "Reality Check" at the doctor's sometime really soon ! ! !
As I said..... I smell shite..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EE4alauiS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Sacked postie David Mitchell 'so proud' after Cupar colleagues strike in support

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Decky Boy wrote:Fair play to all those at Cupar who walked out. David Mitchell was found not guilty in a Court of Law yet his boss and Royal Mail will not reinstate him ???
I was tempted to await the outcome of Royal Mail's appeal before posting.... but quite frankly... "I smell shite". Much as I love our company (who pay my wages and put food in my mouth) I think some of those at the top need to have a "Reality Check" at the doctor's sometime really soon ! ! !
As I said..... I smell shite..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EE4alauiS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.