ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.revk.uk/2015/12/lies-damn-li ... 9410510141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not happy.

I have a parcel coming - nothing that important, but I was hoping to have it Friday, and indeed it should have arrived Friday. However, it was not guaranteed, so I'll let them off with that.

On Saturday I got a card. This was odd because I was at home most of the day and James was at home all day. The postman clearly did not knock.

The card states that the item is "being held safe at the local office, ready to collect the next working day" and lists times, including today (Sunday) as a working day 10:00-14:00.

I went to collect - it took half an hour even though only two people ahead of me, one of which was told they could not find his parcel!

I was told the item is not back at the depot. They say the card was left at 14:45, and the office closes at 15:00 so probably on the van still or something, and tough!

This is odd - as the card was left long before 14:45, and the card clearly shows the office was open until 17:30 on Saturday, not 15:00, so clearly I am being told lies. Indeed, so far I count 4 lies from the Royal Mail, and a waste of over half an hour of my time.

What is the deal with ID?

Normally the only credentials you need to accept a delivery, even if signed for, is to be in the right place at the right time - i.e. at the door when the postman arrives. There is no check of ID or even name, just that the item is handed to someone at the address.

But when collecting you need ID. Well, if you did not have the card I could understanding wanting some proof that you are someone living at that address, such as a driving licence matching photo and address.

But when you have a card, the mere possession of the card proves you were in the right place just not at the right time. Had the postman arrived at a different time they would have been happy to hand the item to you. So why even check ID if you have the card.

What is also weird is they want to check your name, not the address. Normally your name is irrelevant, when delivered in person. No check is made on name. So you would expect that an ID showing a matching address is all that would be needed. But no, they want to check name, and do not care if address matches.

Also a bit odd what ID they accept. The card says the full list of ID is on royalmail.com/redelivery which is only true if you are not accessing from a mobile, as the mobile site does not list ID types! Passport and driving licence, being official documents, I can understand, but bank cards - they are just issued by a company, so why not any old company ID card. I did not get to try my company ID (which was accepted by the Home Office even) because they did not actually have the parcel. I'll try tomorrow.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Post by wannabeek »

On Saturday I got a card. This was odd because I was at home most of the day and James was at home all day. The postman clearly did not knock.
How obvious is it that James was either too idle to get out of bed or had his headphones/stereo/xbox on so loud that he didn't hear the bell? So many times I've had to card parcels when it is blatantly apparent that there is somebody home but cannot come to the door for one of those reasons.

I wish there were a box to tick on the card - 'Sorry, somebody was obviously home but couldn't be bothered to answer the door'.
SillySinStorm
Posts: 32
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Post by SillySinStorm »

wannabeek wrote:
On Saturday I got a card. This was odd because I was at home most of the day and James was at home all day. The postman clearly did not knock.
How obvious is it that James was either too idle to get out of bed or had his headphones/stereo/xbox on so loud that he didn't hear the bell? So many times I've had to card parcels when it is blatantly apparent that there is somebody home but cannot come to the door for one of those reasons.

I wish there were a box to tick on the card - 'Sorry, somebody was obviously home but couldn't be bothered to answer the door'.
I had something similar last weekend. An address with 7 parcels and no answer despite the sound of kids upstairs. Parents in bed i presume. They however made an official complaint that i didn't knock!! If only they realised it's easier to deliver the parcels than it is to card the customer and hump all the stuff back and sticker it all...
sean38
Posts: 56
Joined: 23 May 2007, 15:42

Re: Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Post by sean38 »

do people not realise it is far easier to del a parcel, then actually writing out a 739 doh! somebody actually came to the door Saturday with a card they thought I had posted. but it was from the day before and tried to actually accuse me just posting it without knocking until I said check the date, then all I got was a grunt and the door slammed shut in my face, people don't like it up um lol.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Post by Dorset Plodder »

wannabeek wrote:
On Saturday I got a card. This was odd because I was at home most of the day and James was at home all day. The postman clearly did not knock.
How obvious is it that James was either too idle to get out of bed or had his headphones/stereo/xbox on so loud that he didn't hear the bell? So many times I've had to card parcels when it is blatantly apparent that there is somebody home but cannot come to the door for one of those reasons.

I wish there were a box to tick on the card - 'Sorry, somebody was obviously home but couldn't be bothered to answer the door'.
Write on the card "Loud Music Playing Upstairs" once had a mate write "Sounds of Loud Lovemaking coming from the upstairs bedroom" Think she had a red face when she came to collect that parcel. :Very Happy

This time of the year we're going to get complaints. What do you expect from people who sit there on their laptops ordering crap until god knows what time.....and then can't be arsed to get up and answer the door.......or when they do it's with a bloody mobile in one hand a screaming sprog in the other, and a Feral Barking Mutt jammed against the door frame with their leg! :arrrghhh

Then they look at you as if you're an Alien....grumble down the phone, "I'll have to ring you back it's the bloody postman"....and then begrudgingly sign for their piece of Chinese Crap...... Mumbling, "I don't know what this is/It's not even for me it's my son's/ I wasn't expecting this it's early/This should have been here yesterday" FFS! Merry Christmas :nana
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8874
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Re: Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Post by blue1873 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
wannabeek wrote:
On Saturday I got a card. This was odd because I was at home most of the day and James was at home all day. The postman clearly did not knock.
How obvious is it that James was either too idle to get out of bed or had his headphones/stereo/xbox on so loud that he didn't hear the bell? So many times I've had to card parcels when it is blatantly apparent that there is somebody home but cannot come to the door for one of those reasons.

I wish there were a box to tick on the card - 'Sorry, somebody was obviously home but couldn't be bothered to answer the door'.
Write on the card "Loud Music Playing Upstairs" once had a mate write "Sounds of Loud Lovemaking coming from the upstairs bedroom" Think she had a red face when she came to collect that parcel. :Very Happy

This time of the year we're going to get complaints. What do you expect from people who sit there on their laptops ordering crap until god knows what time.....and then can't be arsed to get up and answer the door.......or when they do it's with a bloody mobile in one hand a screaming sprog in the other, and a Feral Barking Mutt jammed against the door frame with their leg!
:arrrghhh







Then they look at you as if you're an Alien....grumble down the phone, "I'll have to ring you back it's the bloody postman"....and then begrudgingly sign for their piece of Chinese Crap...... Mumbling, "I don't know what this is/It's not even for me it's my son's/ I wasn't expecting this it's early/This should have been here yesterday" FFS! Merry Christmas :nana
Bah Humbug!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Lies, damn lies, and Royal Mail

Post by Dorset Plodder »

blue1873 wrote:
Bah Humbug!
You're right Blue......Bah Humbug indeed! :thumbup I don't know how much Christmas Spirit you've got in your Mail Centre but it's sadly lacking in most Delivery Offices. :sad:

I love the Traditional side of Christmas....Decorations, Christmas Trees, Watching the Kids open their presents, Nativity Plays etc. :thumbup I hate the Commercial side of it, with every bugger and their brother trying to sell you some crap! :thumbdown

It's just a fact that at this time of the year we're faced with the reality of rampant consumerism. I wouldn't want some of my customers Credit Card Bills come next year! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)