Royal Mail manager stole from greetings cards because work stress caused him to 'spiral out of control'
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13897917 ... _/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A ROYAL Mail manager stole gift vouchers from greetings cards when his life "spiralled out of control".
Andrew Foreman apologised for his actions and said taking the post was a "stupid mistake" he made as he battled depression.
The 55-year-old, of Petworth Road, Brighton, stole ten packets in Pevensey between January 2014 and April this year, before using vouchers in the town in February and in Brighton in April to buy car products at Halfords.
He was ordered to complete 300 hours of unpaid work after admitting theft by an employee and two counts of fraud by false representation. He was also handed a six month suspended prison sentence and told to pay £954 - £120 to cover Royal Mail's court, £754 for investigation costs and a victim surcharge.
Described in court as a loyal employee for 37 years with no previous convictions, Alan Price, lead magistrates, said he had breached his employer's trust and his position. As a manager, he said, he held a "degree of responsibility".
Speaking to The Argus Mr Foreman said: "I made a stupid mistake. I don't know why I did it.
"I found it difficult being in charge of a lot of people. It was a very stressful job. I didn't want to go to work, it was very difficult during the privatisation.
"I wish I had just left. I was facing stress at work every day, it was a horrible place to be. My life spiralled out of control. I was being treated by a doctor for depression and I started looking for something to get out of work."
Worthing Magistrates' Court heard he stole five cards but Foreman claims it was two with a value of £40.
He added: "Royal Mail was a great employer. I found the depression and stress difficult to communicate. I bottled it all up.
"I had never put a foot wrong before and had an unblemished record. In court they said I took five cards but it was only two and cost about £40.
"This has been the worst five months of my life. It has put a lot of pressure on my family and myself. I'm really sorry for what I have done and I'm trying to get back on track."
Royal Mail would not comment in detail and did not respond when asked what action was taken to help staff under pressure.
But a spokeswoman said it had a "zero tolerance approach to any dishonesty" and the security of mail was of the "utmost importance".
She added: "It is a criminal offence to tamper with or delay the delivery of mail and anyone caught doing so will face serious disciplinary measures and Royal Mail will always seek to prosecute the tiny minority of people who abuse their position of trust."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail manager stole from greetings cards
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Royal Mail manager stole from greetings cards
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Royal Mail manager stole from greetings cards
Proof that he was mentally unstable at the time.....
"Royal Mail was a great employer"
"Royal Mail was a great employer"
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
pants123
Re: Royal Mail manager stole from greetings cards
Royal Mail would not comment in detail and did not respond when asked what action was taken to help staff under pressure.
A lot of managers are going sick, due to them beibg bullied by the business,...
Royal mail did not comment due to them knowing they are destroying its work force..
A lot of managers are going sick, due to them beibg bullied by the business,...
Royal mail did not comment due to them knowing they are destroying its work force..