
A DORCHESTER postman widely known for his red beard is set to shave it off for charity.
Tim Barton, 50, will go clean shaven for the first time in seven years later this month to raise money for SANE.
SANE is one of the UK’s leading mental health charities improving the quality of life for anyone affected by mental illness.
Tim, who’s been a postman for 12 years, said it was something he had considered doing for a while.
He said: “I always said that I would never get rid of it unless I felt I could raise a really good sum of money for charity. Recently I just decided now is the time.”
Describing how his beard came to be, Tim joked: “It just grew on me.
“I’ve always been a lazy shaver. I couldn’t be bothered. I let it grow and grow and grow.
“For the last seven years I’ve been getting it dyed red. That was an impulse decision.”
After getting it dyed the first time, Tim said it drew quite a reaction from his colleagues at work.
He said: “When I walked into work the following day, it was like, ‘What the bleep have you done?’ “It got a big reaction.”
Tim has continued to dye his beard over the past few years, more recently by Jackie Riley at Dorchester Hair Studio.
He said: “I’m pretty much known as the ‘Red Bearded Postman’ in this town.”
Tim is planning to shave off his beard on Monday, September 28, when he embarks on Motörhead’s Motörboat, a four day cruise.
He said: “I’m getting it shaved on a heavy metal cruise ship. I went last year and it was brilliant.“
When asked how he thought he’d feel once clean shaven, Tim said: “It will feel really weird and I guess no one’s going to recognise me on my rounds.”
People can support Tim by making a donation online at justgiving.com/redbeardcharityshave
Alternatively, people can support Tim by texting a donation to 70070.
People should send the phrase ‘REDS70’ followed by their donation, which can be anywhere between £1 and £5 or a single £10 donation.