
LEAVING HER POST: Muriel has retired after almost 30 years at Sunnyside Post Office Photo by Kevin Shaw
AN East Grinstead resident left her post on Wednesday last week – as she retired from the post office where she has worked for almost 30 years.
Muriel Whittington has worked at the Sunnyside Post Office in Dunnings Road, East Grinstead, since 1985, and has served generations of residents from the area.
After almost three decades behind the counter, the 74-year-old, of Stockwell Road, said she was looking forward to her retirement – but she would miss the company of her customers.
She said: "Over the years I have seen children grow up and pensioners pass away.
"I really enjoyed my time here and the interactions with customers and having a chat with them.
"People have always been really nice and I got to know customers really well. "
The grandmother-of-one began her career in the main East Grinstead post office when she was just 16, straight from school.
After taking a break to have her children, Mandy, 42 and Debbie, 36, she worked briefly in Radio Rentals and Herman Dolce before taking a part time job in the Dunnings Road shop in November 1985 when her youngest daughter went to school.
Replacement, Emma Collins, who has spent the last week training with Mrs Whittington, said: "Muriel had to compress 30 years' of knowledge into six days. I have some big shoes to fill and I know that a lot of people in the community are going to really miss her."
Mrs Whittington said she is now looking forward to having a rest and socialising with friends but mainly looking after and spending more time with her granddaughter Lily.
She said: "My daughter Debbie had Lily six months ago and I want to spend more time with them as they only live five doors away."
A party was held at the Old Dunnings Mill pub last Wednesday to celebrate her 30 years of service.