ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Liz Kendall strikes back over Blairite 'virus' comments

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Liz Kendall strikes back over Blairite 'virus' comments

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Liz Kendall strikes back over Blairite 'virus' comments but union chief stands firm

http://www.totalpolitics.com/blog/45070 ... firm.thtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Liz Kendall has criticised a union for describing Blairites as a “virus” within the Labour party.

When endorsing Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership bid yesterday, the CWU described the left-winger as the “antidote” to policies supported by the likes of Lord Mandelson.

Kendall, who is seen as the most Blairite of the leadership contenders, was asked by soon-to-be BBC Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg whether the comments from CWU’s deputy general secretary Dave Ward were offensive.

The Leicester West MP told Newsnight:

"Yes. I think he also said that the party needed an antidote to the Blairites.

"Well actually, as a party, we need to elect a leader who's going to be able to defeat the Tories and offer a credible alternative for the country.”

Labour MP Diane Abbott, who is backing Corbyn for the Labour leadership, told the same show the comments were "a bit strong".

Undeterred, Ward stood by his remarks this morning, telling the Today programme New Labour did “some good things” during their 13 years in power but failed to accept any failings while in office.

“I stand by what I said yesterday, and the virus that I’m referring to is the policies and the approach of the likes of Peter Mandelson, who seem to continually push these sweeping statements that what this contest is all about is about Labour winning an election, it’s all about being credible, it’s all about moving back to what he describes as the centre ground of British politics.

“And all I’m saying is that we need, within the Labour party, to have a fundamental debate on what the party stands for before we move back to those types of positions.

“And I accept that the 1997 victory by Tony Blair, three successive elections, I accept there were some good things that Labour done. I’m not saying it was bad that Labour introduced the minimum wage, I’m not saying it was bad that Labour reduced child poverty. But the problem with the Blair side of the party, the Blairites which I think Peter Mandelson epitomises for me, is that they never accept any of the bad things that they’ve done.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Liz Kendall strikes back over Blairite 'virus' comments

Post by bustedflush »

Elect Corbyn say hello to Tories again 2020.....

Haven't they learned? Left-leaning, like Kinnock and Foot were unelectable. Labour only won with Bliar because they were a centrist philosophy.

Cameron must be rubbing his hands.... :roll:
britwrit
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 966
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12

Re: Liz Kendall strikes back over Blairite 'virus' comments

Post by britwrit »

Blair was also a fantastically charismatic politician, one who represented a clear break with Labour's past.

In constrast, the other three running are pretty bland. If anyone really thought the party would romp home with any of them, Corbyn would have been the sacrificial lamb from the left, quickly forgotten about.

If anything, Blair's fault is that he didn't develop a robust junior bench. Sure, he was battling with Gordon Brown for all those years but you can judge a leader on his followers.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Liz Kendall strikes back over Blairite 'virus' comments

Post by redneck »

Jeremy Corbyn represents a genuine side of the Labour Party, one that sticks to its principles. A lot of people are fed up with the argument that you have to sound like the Tories to gain any power and 'do good'. All we end up with is the status quo and continued privatisation, insecurity of work, and individual greed. The party has to turn to Corbyn and, if necessary, boot out the Blairite private school educated faction for Labour to genuinely represent the working and non-working people we see everyday on our rounds who have been swept aside by the rest of society, as well as those with any kind of conscience.

Given a choice of a repeat performance in power from Labour sitting in for the next Conservative government in the establishment seat or a Labour party true to socialist beliefs but less chance of power it would be the latter for me.
Red Robbo
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 680
Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
Gender: Male

Re: Liz Kendall strikes back over Blairite 'virus' comments

Post by Red Robbo »

While I consider myself a labour supporter I don't trust Labour with the economy or immigration however at least Corbyn has principles !