ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

CCTV shows terrifying moment thug jumps Post Office counter

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

CCTV shows terrifying moment thug jumps Post Office counter

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

CCTV shows terrifying moment thug jumps Post Office counter to attack owner with '18ins saw'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cc ... ug-5910495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the horrifying moment a knife-wielding thug demanded a Post Office owner hand over valuables – before slashing him on the arm with a garden saw.

Duncan Roach was at the counter in Ely, Cambridge at about 3.20pm when the would-be robber burst in, Wales Online reports.

The offender ran into the shop and jumped over the counter and down to where Mr Roach was standing.

He was carrying garden saw, with a blade estimated to be between 12ins and 18ins long.
Image
Terrifying Attack: Post Office owner Duncan Roach had his arm slashed during an attempted robbery

But the brave 54-year-old fought back – and the offender can next be seen in the CCTV running out of the shop empty-handed, less than 20 seconds after he first entered – and with Mr Roach in pursuit.

Mr Roach, of Llanishen, who sustained a gashed arm from the blade, said: “It felt quick, but not as quickly as it looks in the CCTV.”

“If I had seen the size of the knife in his hand maybe I wouldn’t have done what I did. But it was that quick my instincts took over.”

Image
Saw Attack: Mr Roach suffered cuts to the arm as the robber used a garden saw up to 18ins long

Now he says he wants his shop’s CCTV images to be seen by as many people as possible in order to identify the man police are now hunting.

“I have put the picture up in the shop and one of my staff thinks they have seen him in here before,” Mr Roach said.

“The way he ran implies he’s local – he knew exactly where to run down an alleyway between the houses.

“The sooner it gets out there, the sooner someone is going to grass him up.”
Image
Scary Moment: This is the moment the would-be robber jumped over the counter to attack the owner

Speaking after the incident of June 11, Mr Roach said: “Most of my staff have rung up to wish me well, but they have all said they won’t let scumbags like that ruin their livelihoods. It’s not going to change the way we work.”

Mr Roach says he thought the offender was about 20 years old. He is described as white, wearing a navy blue tracksuit with an Adidas logo and bobble hat.

Anyone with information should call police on 101 – or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111. Quote occurrence 1500206944.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: CCTV shows terrifying moment thug jumps Post Office coun

Post by GT750rider »

Well, don't say I didn't tell you so, but surely by removing the security screens this is bound to happen. So much for PO Counters having the best interests for it's staff. I know I would feel very vulnerable if I worked behind such a counter.