Brazen thief dupes Hitchin postman into handing over mail on victim's doorstep
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/B ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A man whose mail was intercepted on his doorstep by a brazen thief has urged caution to others.
An investigation is under way after the crook, using the name of the intended recipient, was able to dupe a postman into handing over mail in Lucas Lane, Hitchin, at 10.10am on Friday.
But the thief was spotted by his victim's son, who shouted from the house that the man was not who he claimed to be, forcing him to flee with his ill-gotten gains.
The 52-year-old victim, who wished to remain nameless, told the Mercury he was expecting a new bank card to be delivered when the incident took place.
He said: "Somewhere a few weeks back they obviously got hold of my details and phoned up Barclaycard to change my password, so a new card was issued.
"I think they probably planned to intercept the mail on the day the card arrived. Obviously they sat and waited for the postman to arrive.
"The guy came on to our drive and stood by our front door and when the postman arrived, he talked to him."
The victim said he was "disappointed" the crook wasn't required to produce identification, but said he understood why his delivery was handed over. Royal Mail is investigating the theft.
He said: "It's a bit disheartening someone can stand on your front doorstep, say they are you and walk off with your mail.
"If my son hadn't noticed we wouldn't have been any the wiser.
"I don't think they actually got the credit card they wanted but they might have got personal details.
"Be careful with your information. They clearly got my information from somewhere and tried to change my credit card details."
The thief is described as a white man in his early 40s, of medium build and about 5ft 9in in height.
He had black collar-length hair, wore black jeans and a black hooded top with gold detail.
Police are investigating the theft, which is believed to be an isolated incident.
Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call the police on the non-emergency number, 101, citing crime reference number G1/15/897
He said: "It's a bit disheartening someone can stand on your front doorstep, say they are you and walk off with your mail.
"If my son hadn't noticed we wouldn't have been any the wiser.
"I don't think they actually got the credit card they wanted but they might have got personal details.
"Be careful with your information. They clearly got my information from somewhere and tried to change my credit card details."
The thief is described as a white man in his early 40s, of medium build and about 5ft 9in in height.
He had black collar-length hair, wore black jeans and a black hooded top with gold detail.
Police are investigating the theft, which is believed to be an isolated incident.
Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call the police on the non-emergency number, 101, citing crime reference number G1/15/897
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Brazen thief dupes Hitchin postman into handing over mail
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Brazen thief dupes Hitchin postman into handing over mail
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Brazen thief dupes Hitchin postman into handing over mai
I've had this a few times, I always post through the letter box or I insist that they open the door before I give them the mail over the threshold. I usually explain that I don't know them and they could be anyone if they are in the street or the garden, usually they are ok with it and impressed with my regard to security of mail. Its not he first time I had people driving in the road and asking to give mail to them, I usually refuse there was one occasion where the couple in the process of divorcing and they have been trying to intercept each others mail of me. I naturally refused.
I got the feeling the Postie in question might be extremely lucky to keep his job, this would come under failure to ensure the security of mail.
I got the feeling the Postie in question might be extremely lucky to keep his job, this would come under failure to ensure the security of mail.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Brazen thief dupes Hitchin postman into handing over mai
A few years back in our office a postie was going up the path to a house when the front door opened and he handed a packet over to a bloke who just happened to be a burglar leaving the premises with a bag full of stolen goods. he still gets the piss taken now some 20 years later.