ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Blind man refused service at post office because he took guide dog inside

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/10/blind-man ... e-5143408/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A blind man was refused service at a post office unless he agreed to leave his guide dog outside.

Craig Roberts was eventually allowed into the Chadderton store in Manchester with the Golden Labrador Retriever Cross but it took 10 minutes for him to argue to be served.

‘This incident has really knocked my confidence and made me think if I can’t take Bruce to the Post Office, will this happened again at the shops or a café? It was really embarrassing and humiliating,’ the 36-year-old glaucoma sufferer said.

An employee had told him he would have to leave his guide dog outside if he wanted to be served but was immediately challenged by Mr Roberts and other customers.

Under the Equality Act 2010, people with disabilities have the same right to services, which includes allowing guide dogs and assistance dogs into all public places with their owners.

Mr Roberts added: ‘This incident has really knocked my confidence and made me think if I can’t take Bruce to the Post Office, will this happened again at the shops or a café? It was really embarrassing and humiliating.’


The Post Office has now apologised to Mr Roberts but he wants it in writing.

He has also been invited back to the shop for a talk by Chadderton postmaster Mr Parekh.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by NWpostie »

I doubt any of this would have happened without the power of social media, he was probably hoping the blind man would meekly accept his place as a pleb and move away from his perfect post office.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

NWpostie wrote:I doubt any of this would have happened without the power of social media, he was probably hoping the blind man would meekly accept his place as a pleb and move away from his perfect post office.
Or his employers perfect PO. :shhhhh
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by bustedflush »

I'd say this was a cultural thing - Asian manager and staff, dogs are dirty in their culture and their culture comes above our equality laws (that's assuming they know them.) Now he realizes he could be sued for it, money lost and costs etc. in my opinion a remarkable change of heart has occurred. Just sayin'
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

bustedflush wrote:I'd say this was a cultural thing - Asian manager and staff, dogs are dirty in their culture and their culture comes above our equality laws (that's assuming they know them.) Now he realizes he could be sued for it, money lost and costs etc. in my opinion a remarkable change of heart has occurred. Just sayin'

A completely uneducated and racist view.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by aiden01 »

zx135 wrote:
bustedflush wrote:I'd say this was a cultural thing - Asian manager and staff, dogs are dirty in their culture and their culture comes above our equality laws (that's assuming they know them.) Now he realizes he could be sued for it, money lost and costs etc. in my opinion a remarkable change of heart has occurred. Just sayin'

A completely uneducated and racist view.
:Applause :Applause :Applause some people never think :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by aiden01 »

is a blind man now a cultural thing :hmmmm :arrrghhh
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bustedflush wrote:I'd say this was a cultural thing - Asian manager and staff, dogs are dirty in their culture and their culture comes above our equality laws (that's assuming they know them.) Now he realizes he could be sued for it, money lost and costs etc. in my opinion a remarkable change of heart has occurred. Just sayin'
My own personal Views

Thats incredibly offensive to ME. Just because they are Asian doesn't mean they think dogs are dirty, or that they are above laws, or they are ignorant of the laws (though you do appear to be - check http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... sm#p548240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Also are you so local that you know the race/culture of the person that actually did the deed, just because the manager is Asian and the target of your racism, doesn't mean that the counter clerk was. Indeed he could have been a WASP for all we know.

The reason this is offensive to me is that, at the risk of outing me, I have a mixed race Asian child. So could I suggest you do not repeat this style of bigotry and assumption based on race on here again.

I hate bigotry, be it coming from an Asian or a British person, just as I hate inconsiderate service, racism, assumption, theft, rule and law breaking but I don't base my hate on race or culture, but on the character of the person committing the act. Your character, in my view has suffered from this ill thought out post.

Moderating Part

To the person reporting it. At the current time I am the only active moderator and I am not on here 24/7 so I can only respond when I see it, or when I see a report as in this case only about 10 minutes ago. So I would appreciate you not assuming I am happy for them to appear, or that when a post is deleted no action beyond that has been taken. No other member is told about board warnings or private PMs between the Admin/Moderators unless there is an overarching reason to do so. In most cases a deletion and a private warning is enough, if we went straight to board warnings and informing everyone that means we can't base our actions at an appropriate level commensurate with the original breach.



All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by bustedflush »

Nice to be labelled a 'racist' when I mentioned culture was the likely reason, not race. But, I have thicker skin than others so will accept the insults without throwing my dummy out and trying to bully others and shout them down with the misused term 'racist' in place of debate.

As for 'education' when the PO is in a predominantly Asian area of Oldham, and whether you like it or not dogs are seen as 'unclean' by many for religious reasons I put two and two together to make 4.

I don't think my 'assumptions' are unreasonable and I believe the PO manager has been forced to hold out the olive branch to the blind victim of his shop's discrimination.

Should anyone show me proof that the employee was a 'WASP' as TBT terms it and not of a religious persuasion that has certain views about canines then I will return to this thread, wholeheartedly apologize for my bad assumption and absolutely mean it. I would also learn to try and think differently when matters such as this come to light in future.

So, admittedly I don't know the WHOLE story but neither do you people by the sound of it so I would appreciate it if you insult me when you do - in the same way you think I've jumped the gun originally.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You said
cultural thing - Asian manager and staff, dogs are dirty in their culture
Asian is a race ergo - you spouted a racist statement, and then tried to obfuscate it by claiming it was about culture. However this is still racism, its called more correctly Cultural racism, which is when there is an acceptance of stereotypes concerning different ethnic or racial groups.

What offended me is that you made derogatory statements based on assumptions and you based those assumptions based on race and culture, not on the character of the individuals. If you can't see why that would be offensive then I am incredulous. Yet, in your reply you go beyond such crass assumptions and want people of the opposing view to offer proof "that the employee was a 'WASP' as TBT terms it and not of a religious persuasion that has certain views about canines", yet that was not an assumption, it was a debating tactic used to show the fallacy of making such an assumption as you posted, so it can't be proven as its not even touted as a possibility, which was incidentally the whole point. You assumed something that can't be proved and used that assumption to make a vile and offensive attack on someone based on their race and culture.


Your assumptions I have addressed, but your belief that he had been forced to apologise may indeed be correct. But that belief taken on its own merit, with no cultural or racial overtones, is not actually offensive because of the lack of them.

You admit you don't know the whole story and made assumptions, but then I, in my reply, actually pointed out that no-one knows the whole story and my post should read with that in mind.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

After a cursory search about your claim that some cultures and religions see dogs as being unclean, that is indeed the case in Judaism and Christianity (Leviticus 11:27) and yes Islam but not all islam. For Sunnis Dogs that Guard (such as a guide dog ?) are not considered unclean. In fact there is one Hadith apparently that tells how the Prophet himself had prayed in the presence of his playfully cavorting dogs. In Surah Kahf, mention is made of the companions of the Cave and their dog. (S18: 18-22) So I guess that this "Asian" was Christian, Jewish, or Islamic but not a Sunni. :hmmmm.

Another search for the shiite view and it appears that they don't think dogs are unclean (rajis or are Haraam) like pigs , but just that they are (najis) if they come into contact with the dogs saliva then they need to wash the area 7 times before praying, once with dust.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by DGP1 »

Why do I think that it referred to a man who sells blinds!!!
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mind you if anyone thinks muslims, or any other religion, think dogs are unclean, then how do posties of those beliefs cope with daily contact with numerous dogs. :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DGP1 wrote:Why do I think that it referred to a man who sells blinds!!!

too many Image

Excuse the welsh shirt
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Blind man refused service at post office because he took

Post by bustedflush »

What's wrong with the Welsh shirt?? Would you say that if the chap had a Pakistani cricket top on? Only ribbing, I don't take false umbrage at the slightest little thing... :cool

Back to the original subject, I applaud the customers whomever they were that stood up to this discrimination.