ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postie to run race that almost killed him

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postie to run race that almost killed him

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.edgware-today.co.uk/News.cfm?id=29014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

A MARATHON-loving postie is set to run again in the race which almost killed him.
Graham Barnett, who delivers mail to homes in Hadley Wood, was technically dead for three minutes after collapsing at the London Marathon in 2006, six miles from the finish.

No one would blame Graham, 59, for hanging up his running shoes, but he keeps on going – next month’s race will be his 27th marathon. “Running a marathon is a mental thing,” he said. “And I am a bit mental! You have to be slightly unhinged to do it.”

Graham, of East Barnet Road, who is a member of the Barnet and District Athletics Club member, used to weigh 16 stone and smoked 40 a day.

In 1987, a friend bet Graham he couldn’t run 26 miles. He did in 1988 and was running three marathons every year after that, with 50 half-marathons and countless 10k races.

But in 2006, without warning, Graham collapsed, suffered a heart attack and went to hospital.

“I like to joke that I ran the first 20 miles in two hours and did the last six at 80mph,” he said.
Doctors performed keyhole surgery through to one of his heart’s main arteries – which was 100 per cent blocked.

A postman for 26 years, Graham walks seven miles a day on his round. “If I hadn’t had the heart attack in the marathon, I think I would have died,” he said. “If I was on my round, I could’ve fallen into a ditch and that would’ve been it.

“I think I have cheated death. It totally changes your perspective on life.”

Graham is appealing for people to sponsor him for this year’s marathon, which he is running for inclusive theatre company Chickenshed, in Chase Side, Southgate. “I think what they do is brilliant,” said Graham.

Susan Jamson, press and communications manager at Chickenshed, said: “We are thrilled that Graham is going to run for us.” The company needs £3.5million a year to stay afloat.

Graham has run one other marathon since his heart attack when a friend ran alongside him all the way in 2010 – but this year he’s going it alone. “At 22 miles, it’s the crowd that get you through,” said Graham. “The hairs on the back of your neck stand up.”

Graham won’t be doing a marathon next year, but still hopes to run the New York Marathon before he retires from running.

“I still run because I enjoy it,” he added. “When you think about problems in your life, they just don’t seem as bad.

“But you’ve got to detach your brain from your body. If you ran with your brain, you’d only run a couple of miles!”

Get in touch with Chickenshed on 020 8351 6161 to sponsor Graham.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Postie to run race that almost killed him

Post by Lounge Lizard »

“Running a marathon is a mental thing,” he said. :thumbup Indeed, it is. :crazy:
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Postie to run race that almost killed him

Post by NWpostie »

People who have led sedentary lives for years smoking, junk food, lack of exercise will have stored up fat plaques in their blood vessels and thats usually why apparently fit runners die of mysterious heart attacks, they need to reduce them and take a 75mg dose of aspirin before a rigorous exercise to thin the blood, this may mitigate any risks
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.