ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Belated send-off for popular village postie Geoff

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Belated send-off for popular village postie Geoff

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.andoveradvertiser.co.uk/news ... y/11869472._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Image
Sub-postmaster Bob Gillespie presents a spoof Sun front page to Broughton’s village postman Geoff Collis at his retirement party on Saturday


A FORMER postman has been given a belated farewell party.

Family, friends and villagers paid tribute to Broughton’s ex-postie, Geoff Collis’s work in the community during a farewell presentation on Saturday evening. Geoff, who was 62 on Monday, retired in the autumn but villagers were unable to give him a send-off then because he was undergoing a hip replacement.

Village sub-postmaster Bob Gillespie said: “Geoff was an old fashioned postman who liked doing his delivery rounds on his bike and was disappointed when he had to deliver in a van.

“He enjoyed meeting villagers and would go the extra 10 miles as a postman. He would check up on the elderly when he was going his round. I know that he used to tap on the window of one old lady in the village to make sure she was OK.”

Mr Gillespie added that Geoff did a lot for the village behind the scenes and was a very quiet and modest man.

Saturday’s party took place at Broughton FC’s club house.

During the party Bob presented Geoff with farewell gifts on behalf of villagers. These included a spoof Sun newspaper front page story with the headline ‘Geoff Enjoy Your Retirement – Collis finally gets to sit back and enjoy retired life’.

He was also given a special cake decorated with a post-box, a post-bike and letters, baked by villager, Louise Elsey. Geoff, who is married with two sons and a daughter, said : “It is such a lovely cake that I don’t want to cut it.”

Commenting on the changes to the Royal Mail which he has witnessed, Geoff said: “They got rid of my bike just over a year ago and gave me a delivery van which I didn’t like. I could see more from my bike and I met more people. I am going to miss the people but not that van.”

Geoff said he had enjoyd his part and thanked everyone involved.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.