
HE’S been a familiar face at Wells Post Office for 44 years, but this week, staff and customers will be saying a sad farewell to Richard Ashley Cooke.
Known by everyone as Ash, he has decided that at the age of 72, it is time to retire from his job behind the post office counter.
Born and raised in Wells he started working for the company at the age of 29 after working as a butcher in the city.
“I spent two years working as a postman before moving to behind the counter,” recalled Ash.
“In those days there was a huge sorting office full of people in our building as everything was done here.
“A lot has changed since I joined in 1971.
“Computers are probably the biggest difference: I remember when everything was on hundreds of pieces of paper, now everything is automated.”
He explained that over the years he has met lots of different people and really enjoyed speaking to the customers.
“I think part of me will miss cycling into work as I have done it for so long now, I think the workers I pass will wonder what’s happened to me if I don’t cycle past them.”
Ash is looking forward to spending more time with his wife, Marlene.
“I don’t have anything planned to do with the extra time yet but I think I’ll see what happens,” he said.
“It’d be nice to get out and about on my bike and I think I’ll give the house a big tidy but that’s all my plans so far.”