ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Post by POSTMAN »

http://www.brentwoodgazette.co.uk/Postb ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.brentwoodgazette.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276429/Article/images/24103245/7813459-large.jpgCROOKS have broken into the same postbox in Shelley three times in a week, sparking concerns they are targeting someone's mail.

Royal Mail bosses say they now have no choice but to seal the postbox at the junction of Shortlands Avenue and Acres Avenue, after vandals even removed notices attached saying it was shut.

Elderly residents living nearby are furious, with the nearest alternative a lengthy half-mile walk uphill in Fyfield Road.

Cllr Carol Knights, who represents Shelley on Ongar Town Council, fumed: "I can't understand why they want to make a closure, especially at this time of the year when people are sending Christmas cards.

"They are taking away community facilities from hundreds of people in Ongar, as the postbox in Sainsbury's has gone too and we don't have a bus service.

"Lots of people here are elderly or disabled and don't have access to a car – how are they going to make their correspondence?"

Residents were disappointed at the closure of the postbox, as well as surprised at the vandalism and theft, which they say is a rare occurrence in the area.

They said they were disappointed at the lack of communication from Royal Mail, although the firm said notices that were put on the postbox had also been vandalised.

Jean Easter, who lives in Cripsey Avenue, said: "I've been here for 50 years and I've never seen any vandalism.

"I came round once recently and it was open and I didn't know whether to put my post in it or not."

And the 82-year-old, who has recently undergone a hip replacement, said the loss of the postbox would make her life more difficult.

"You can't always get in the car to go half a mile up the road to post a letter," she added.

"It will be a great shame to the community if it does shut."

Brian Baldry, 60, who lives near the postbox, said its closure would affect a lot of people.

"We hadn't had any trouble until they started turning out the lights in the last few months," he said.

"Now you have no idea because you can't see what is going on when you look out the window.

"I use the postbox three or four times a week currently so it's an inconvenience."

And Edward Spencer, 68, who lives in Moreton Road, added: "Why doesn't the post office install a security light or CCTV? That would help everybody."

Clare Smith, 41, who lives opposite the postbox, agreed. She said she could not see what was happening at the postbox in the evenings because of the telegraph pole that blocks it and because it is too dark.

"It's a shame it's not on the other side of the telegraph pole because it's in such a dark hidden spot," she said.

A Royal Mail spokesman said: "Royal Mail can confirm that a postbox at Acres Avenue has been sealed following repeated vandalism and theft of mail.

"We informed customers of this decision with a notice on the postbox but this has also been vandalised on several occasions.

"We are working closely with Essex Police and our security team to investigate the incidents.

"We apologise to our customers for the inconvenience and would ask them to use the nearest postbox at Fyfield Road or drop their mail off at Ongar Post Office in the High Street.

"We would advise anyone who has any concerns about their mail to contact our customer services team on 03457 740 740."
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Post by DGP1 »

God save us from local newspapers.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Post by fishtank »

That's a scary looking kid holding on to that postbox. :nervous
Pretty sure there were two of them though in The Shining.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Post by wannabeek »

"I came round once recently and it was open and I didn't know whether to put my post in it or not."

I love that statement, hilarious!

Reminds me of a time one of our rural boxes was completely demolished by a hedge-cutter. The box was mashed up out of shape and the door was completely ripped off. I kept finding mail in that mangled box for ages!

In another one a swarm of bees took up residence. The swarm was removed and the slot taped up temporarily after with a notice explaining why attached to it. When I next opened this box a few days later, somebody had removed the tape, posted their letters, then resealed it!!! :crazy:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Post by Lounge Lizard »

wannabeek wrote:"I came round once recently and it was open and I didn't know whether to put my post in it or not."

I love that statement, hilarious!

Reminds me of a time one of our rural boxes was completely demolished by a hedge-cutter. The box was mashed up out of shape and the door was completely ripped off. I kept finding mail in that mangled box for ages!

In another one a swarm of bees took up residence. The swarm was removed and the slot taped up temporarily after with a notice explaining why attached to it. When I next opened this box a few days later, somebody had removed the tape, posted their letters, then resealed it!!! :crazy:
- because they knew you'd be back. :nana
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Post by Sir Henry »

DGP1 wrote:God save us from the locals.
It makes you wonder what these people would do if there was a real emergency.

'It can't be the apocalypse! I'm due to have my thread veins done on Friday"
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postbox sealed up after thieves strike THREE times

Post by dvbuk55 »

And Edward Spencer, 68, who lives in Moreton Road, added: "Why doesn't the post office install a security light or CCTV? That would help everybody

Well because it's not our job. Why don't all those hard done residents police the box with a neighbourhood watch scheme, why not club together and purchase a security light then when it gets vandalised several times they may decide the problem is not worthy of any great deal of effort.