ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postie marks Great War anniversary in historic uniform

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postie marks Great War anniversary in historic uniform

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/weir ... -1-6796541" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

A postie from Cliviger took a step back in time when he marked the centenary of the First World War by doing his round in an original Edwardian uniform.

Postal history buff Mark Croasdale bought the authentic 1913 uniform from eBay last year but decided the recent centenary commemoration was a fitting time to wear it.

Mark, who lives in Cliviger, said: “I have a keen interest in old postal uniforms and have bought a few over the years.

“I spotted this one online last year and snapped it up. It cost £200 but remarkably it actually fits me.

“I didn’t necessarily buy it to wear but I thought the centenary commemoration on Monday was a suitable occasion, especially as it was dated from just the year before the outbreak of war.

“The uniform came with a hat, which didn’t fit, but I have another from the same period I wore.

“My round is Cliviger so I know pretty much everyone here and they all liked the uniform. Plenty of them wanted to take my picture.”

Forty-eight-year-old Mark, who has just celebrated 25 years’ service with the Post Office, said the uniform has four gold badges, each representing 10 years’ service.

His oldest item is a hat from 1909 and he also owns a French postal uniform from the 1940s which he keeps on display at home.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.