ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel she was delivering in Yeovil

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Postwom ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A postwoman in Yeovil was reportedly chased by a swarm of bees after they escaped form a parcel she was delivering.

The Sun is reporting that Carar Tyer opened the door of her Parcelforce van and was engulfed by the insects.

The 39-year-old from Bridgwater told the newspaper: "I thought I'd parked by a bees' nest. It didn't dawn on me they were inside my van. I had no idea I was carrying a box of bees.

"I managed to chuck it outside and then they went absolutely mental. There were about 2,000 bees."

A beekeeper was called who managed to gather the swarm and returned them to the box.

A spokesman for Parcelforce said bees can be accepted in the post but "must be enclosed in packs constructed so as to prevent injury".
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

Just goes to show we should bee more careful about the parcels we carry :wave
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Post by wannabeek »

Haha, I've delivered a few queens on my rounds, most posties wouldn't even recognise that's what they are, but not a whole colony while on the job.

Delivered a few outside of work but wouldn't allow them bouncing around in the back of a van! I'm surprised that parcelforce permit carrying them at all as they can be pretty dangerous.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Post by k979aaa »

Oh beehave could be worse she could have hives as well.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Post by bustedflush »

The poor honey! I bet she thought there was a RM sting occurring.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Re: Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Post by glenfiddich »

i delivered one a couple of years ago and as the back of the van got warmer there buzzing got louder it was a bit worrying :shock:
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Postwoman chased after 2,000 bees escape from parcel

Post by wannabeek »

Nah, that's a good sign - beating the wings furiously is how they cool down. Just been out to the apiary this evening and it sounds like a load of air-con units humming away out by the field - poor gals are desperately trying to get a draught through!