ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Clean up our mouldy post box, demands Tunbridge Wells reside

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Clean up our mouldy post box, demands Tunbridge Wells reside

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Clean up our mouldy post box, demands Tunbridge Wells resident

http://www.courier.co.uk/Clean-mouldy-p ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob Smith is a man with a mission: to get Royal Mail to clean up its mould-covered post box on The Pantiles.

Mr Smith, 70, has contacted Royal Mail with his plea to give it a “good wash” before the tourists start arriving at the town’s popular visitor attraction.

Mr Smith, of Dudley Road, said the Victorian post box was unusual because it had an ornate top and a series of grooves, and believes it was specially designed for the Royal town.

But because of the wet winter and overhanging trees, it is covered in “green slime” said Mr Smith.

He contacted the Courier after Royal Mail told him the request had been “put through, although it is a non-priority”.

He said: “It is a 15 to 20 minutes job with some warm soapy water. I’d do it myself but I am in the wrong end of town. I can’t really be carrying a bucket of water through the town.”

Mr Smith contacted Royal Mail last month but it asked him to provide the identification number of the post box.

He returned to the box, but the small number plate was missing, so instead he provided the post code for its location.

He was told Royal Mail was carrying out a schedule of post box redecoration nationwide but was not told if The Pantiles post box was included in that schedule.

Mr Smith said: “In the whole scheme of things, it is quite minor but it is so easily solved.

“I think The Pantiles is very, very special and that box is so special because I think it was designed only for The Pantiles. I am sure people stop and look at it.

“When I went on a tour with a guide when I first came here, it generated a lot of interest.

“When the tourists come in the summer and see it the way it is, it would be a great shame. Hopefully this small job can be done before the summer rush.”

Royal Mail said it had more than 115,000 postboxes across the country of “many different designs and sizes”.

It said all were included in its rolling programme of repair and repainting.

It said it was currently repainting postboxes in the Tunbridge Wells area and expected this one to be repainted in the “near future.”

Royal Mail spokesman Sally Hopkins said: “Royal Mail’s postboxes are a great British icon as well as a key element of Royal Mail’s business of connecting consumers, communities and companies. There are over 115,000 postboxes across the country.

“We are very proud of them and put a great deal of effort into maintaining and painting them.

“We repaint and refurbish them on a regular basis. We also respond directly to reports by our staff and customers about individual boxes that require urgent attention.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.