http://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2014/05 ... ompetition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matthew Offord MP joins a delivery round in Hendon to see for himself
We have been inviting a number of MPs to our delivery offices, to let them know about the threat that unfair direct delivery poses to the Universal Service.
Courier recently joined Hendon MP Matthew Offord on a delivery round in north west London, to find out his opinion on the important matter.
Q. Did shadowing a postman give you a greater understanding of how Royal Mail delivers the Universal Service?
It was a great opportunity to shadow Steve Nixson on his delivery round. It gave me a chance to see the problems the Universal Service faces. It’s also given me some knowledge and experience so I can discuss this with ministers.
In places like my constituency, Hendon, it’s very easy for other companies to come in and cherry pick the lucrative contracts.
That really concerns me because that has an impact on the rest of the country and the postal service as a whole.
Q. Does Royal Mail do a good job of delivering the Universal Service?
Yes, it does. I think it’s a trusted organisation. Everyone knows Royal Mail and most people even know their postman or woman.
That’s something we don’t want to lose.
Q. Are you concerned that direct delivery competition may jeopardise the financial security of the Universal Service?
I have grave concerns even though I believe in greater competition.
Q. Is it fair that Royal Mail is strictly regulated compared to its direct delivery competitors?
Everyone should be subject to the same regulation. I think that Royal Mail is currently working at a disadvantage, and that needs to change.
I don’t think it’s fair that Royal Mail is subject to high levels of regulation when its competitors are not. That is not a level playing field. It’s something that I would like to see changed to make sure competition truly is fair.
Q. Do you think the general public realises that the Universal Service is at risk?
No, I don’t. Until there’s a problem, such as not receiving an important hospital appointment in time or perhaps a credit card bill is late, they won’t realise that not all providers deliver the Universal Service.
Q. Is it misleading to say that new jobs are being created in the postal sector?
That’s difficult to answer because the number of jobs in the postal sector as a whole is decreasing.
There are probably short term increases in jobs. It’s harder to decide whether those increases are sustainable over the longer term.
Direct delivery special
You can read more about what’s happening in Hendon in this month’s special edition of Courier, which focuses on unfair direct delivery competition and the action we are taking to alert our regulator, Ofcom, to the threat is poses to the USO.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Alerting MPs to unfair direct delivery competition
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Alerting MPs to unfair direct delivery competition
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.