http://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/news/ne ... _1_3573322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTMAN with a plethora of community-based pastimes has been named as Sidmouth’s citizen of the year.
The 52-year-old, of Manstone Avenue, juggles his full-time job with being a member of the town’s retained fire service – and still finds room for the scouts, air cadets, Sidmouth Mummers and Sidvale Players to name a few.
The dad of two, a postman for 25 years, also helps organise the postmen’s entry in the carnival and has had a hand in the town’s Boxing Day swim and raft race.
“It’s an honour,” Barry said of landing the annual Rotary Club of Sidmouth award.
“I am born and bred in Sidmouth, have lived here all my life, so it is quite nice to be appreciated by the people of Sidmouth. I never realised I did quite so many things – but I enjoy it all.
“I should think a few people will bring it up on my rounds.”
Citizen of the Year organiser Arthur Passey told those at a presentation lunch on Wednesday that the winner of the accolade is nominated by residents of the town.
“This year it was a very popular result,” he said.
Arthur added that well-known Barry needed no introduction, as he has been, and remains, ‘involved with a long list of organisations as long as your arm’.
“I just wonder what he does in his spare time,” said Arthur. “I am given to understand he puts so much effort and energy into helping all the community, both young and old – and he is always happy.”
Rotary club president Lynn Ellis said Barry’s wife Michelle, daughter Kath, 16, and son Alex, 20, could be very proud of him. Citizen of the Year began in 1985 and the public’s nominations are submitted each year through the Sidmouth Herald.
Barry will join the list of winners whose names are displayed on a board at Sidmouth Town Council’s Woolcombe House base.
Council chairman John Hollick described Barry as a ‘wonderful chap’.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Firefighting postie Barry is Sidmouth Citizen of the Year
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Firefighting postie Barry is Sidmouth Citizen of the Year
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Firefighting postie Barry is Sidmouth Citizen of the Yea
He must have a good duty.....once I have done my park and loops the only thing I can do is crawl into my car....drive home...and crash out...totally whacked....no energy left for anything else.