ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dunfermline postie Ally to run 10 marathons in 10 days

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dunfermline postie Ally to run 10 marathons in 10 days

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Dunfermline postie Ally to run 10 marathons in 10 days for charity

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/du ... r-charity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

DUNFERMLINE postie Ally Cameron is running 10 marathons over 10 days, that’s 262 miles, for a charity that inspires young people to engage positively in their communities.

Running a distance longer than that of Dunfermline to Leeds, Ally (37) of Tinto Place, Abbeyview, will start the 10in10 Brathay Trust Marathon in the Lake District’s Windermere on 9th May with friend Paul Foster.

Ally, who has ran just one marathon before, has been training since he got accepted to do the course last July.

He said, “I wanted a challenge, to do something different and have a goal to work towards, so after speaking it over with my friend Paul I thought this was the perfect thing to do.

“When I tell people about it they look at me like I am mad but I am confident that I can do it - even if I have to walk some parts.

“Being a postie has helped greatly in the marathon training. I have been running long distances but walking seven or eight miles a day for work builds a lot of fitness.”

Ally and Paul, who have so far collectively raised more than £6300, will be two of 15 people from across the UK running the Brathay 10in10.

Ally said, “After visiting Brathay Trust I just felt overwhelmed at the fantastic work the volunteers do there to support vulnerable children and young people who have experienced mental, physical and sometimes sexual abuse.

“The volunters are like guidance councillors by helping these children and young people get back on their feet and to get on a better track.

“I am just really impressed by the charity and what it offers and it really made me think about the importance of having good start in life.”

Ally, who recently has been covering rural postal areas has finished intense training before the challenge.

He is resting but still going for smaller runs to keep up his fitness.

He said, “It will be a tough 10 days and the challenge will be similar to a boot camp where we wake up, get fed, get a massage, run 26 miles and then return, eat, have an ice bath and rest.

“I am quite a confident person but I do get a little nervous especially when I speak about it to people.

“But I am looking forward to starting what I have been working towards for months.”

To support Ally and Paul on their 10in10 challenge visit http://www.justgiving.com/gimps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, all donations go to Brathay Trust.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Dunfermline postie Ally to run 10 marathons in 10 days

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Good luck mate , but you could be one of the first to require the defibrilator that every office is getting, hope your dom has learned how to use it! :chuckle
Why are lino's paid full-time ??