ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Council tax post blunder: nearly 900 residents asked to pay

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Council tax post blunder: nearly 900 residents asked to pay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Council tax post blunder: nearly 900 residents asked to pay £1.50 after bills sent without postage

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... t_postage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ALMOST 900 residents were asked to pay £1.50 for the privilege of receiving their council tax demands after the bills were sent out without any postage.

Bournemouth council has apologised to residents who had a card put through the door to say there was a package awaiting them at their local sorting office.

Residents who went to collect the packages had to queue to pay for the missing postage plus a £1 surcharge.

The problem affected 862 residents, mostly in the Winton area. They will have the £1.50 deducted from their council tax bill.

Jacqueline Selcoe, of Green Road in Winton, went online to pay £1.50 so the parcel could be re- delivered.

“It was in my husband’s name so I had no idea what the post was going to be,” she said.

“It was re-delivered the next day. I was disgusted, to be honest.

I was ranting about it for ages.”

She added: “I can laugh at it now but I thought ‘How ridiculous’ because they must have had to pay somebody to deliver the apology letters plus all the paper and printing it’s cost them to issue them again.”

Green Road resident Robert McKenzie said: “I had a card through the door saying would I pay £1.50 for a package that hadn’t had enough postage paid on it.


“I wondered what that could be.

I went to the post office, paid my £1.50 and then the next afternoon an envelope came through the door from the council saying they had put insufficient postage on our council tax bill and that we were to phone them and the £1.50 would be deduced from the council tax bill.

“I tried phoning them but they were busy.”

Hyun Gil said she had received a card but had not been able to go to the sorting office. “The next day, I got a letter saying I shouldn’t worry and should wait for the council tax letter,” she said.

Another Winton resident, who did not want to be named, said: “I got a card through the door. I thought it was a parcel so I shouted to the postman and he said ‘I don’t know what it is but it’s happened to every house in the street.’”

Another said: “I thought I’d won a competition. I had to go all the way to the sorting office in West Howe to get a council tax bill.”

‘A number of tax bills were not franked’

A statement from Bournemouth Borough Council chief executive Tony Williams said “a number of council tax bills were not franked” when processed by a company employed by the outsourcing firm Mouchel.

“We completely understand that this is an extremely frustrating situation for residents. We apologise unreservedly to those who have been asked to pay a fee and for the inconvenience caused. This should not have happened and we are extremely sorry,” he said.

Letters of apology had been hand-delivered and the remaining bills would be delivered for free.

“Bournemouth council will be making arrangements to reimburse any council tax payer who has had to pay to retrieve their bill by crediting their council tax account,” he added.

Residents can ring a helpline on 01202 451597, from 8.30am-5.15pm, or email revenue&benefits@bournemouth.gov.uk
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Council tax post blunder: nearly 900 residents asked to

Post by arnold cheshire »

are the council going to pay for petrol to get to the delivery office ? are the council going to pay for phone calls ? :left:
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Council tax post blunder: nearly 900 residents asked to

Post by Straight4ward »

Pity the poor sod who had to write out all those charge cards.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Council tax post blunder: nearly 900 residents asked to

Post by arnold cheshire »

this is disgusting just refunding the £1.50 i would go the council offices and demand the £1.50 back in my hand and petrol money and car parking in the towns council run car park