Postman robbed on way to work for £12 and tobacco in Gateshead
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... 12-6730078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman was left with fractured ribs when a drunken robber attacked him on his way to work in Gateshead early one morning
A postman was attacked by a drunken robber on his way to work for the sake of £12 and some tobacco.
Frances Ravenhall was on his way to start his shift early one morning when he bumped into David Kane.
Kane had downed a bottle of whisky during an all-night drinking session and drunkenly approached Mr Ravenhall as he walked past a Gateshead pub car park.
A court heard he landed a flurry of punches to the blameless 57-year-old, fracturing his ribs, before demanding: “Where’s the lolly?”
Scared of the consequences of not complying, Mr Ravenhall handed over £12 from his pocket and some tobacco.
As Kane was jailed for two and a half years, his vicim told how the attack has left him frightened and looking to move away from the area where it happened, in Pelaw, Gateshead.
Mr Ravenhall said in a statement read to Newcastle Crown Court: “I become apprehensive every time I walk past where the attack happened. I’m trying to move house so I no longer have to walk past the place where the robbery happened.
“I get frightened, especially when walking alone, and I feel frightened at home when I’m alone. The only time I feel safe is when I’m at work.” At the time of the robbery, Mr Ravenhall was walking past the Maiden Over pub, in Pelaw, around 5.15am on January 4.
Kane had been in the car park of the pub for around half an hour and was drunkenly shadow boxing with himself. As Mr Ravenhall walked past, Kane approached him, prompting the postie to quicken his step.
However, Kane caught up and launched an unprovoked attack, landing several punches to the victim’s face and body.
He then demanded valuables and ran off when handed the £12 and a pouch of tobacco.
Mr Ravenhall went to hospital and was found to have fractured ribs and bruising and a cut round his eye.
Kane, 23, of Old Durham Road, Gateshead, pleaded guilty to robbery.
Judge Guy Whitburn QC said: “It was a terrifying experience for this postman on his way to work.
“He is now in fear, not surprisingly.”
Tony Hawks, defending, said: “He was not waiting for a postman to rob, he was just totally drunk and the only people who are likely to be out at that time of the morning are postmen or milkmen.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman robbed on way to work for £12 and tobacco
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman robbed on way to work for £12 and tobacco
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.