ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Much-loved post office assistant retires aged 82

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Much-loved post office assistant retires aged 82

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A MUCH-LOVED Killay Post Office assistant is retiring after working in the trade for over 60 years.

Margaret Guard, 82, of Carnglas Road Sketty worked her final shift at Killay Post Office after she made the decision to retire due to the current post office closing and relocating.

The new branch, at Killay News, Gower Road, is celebrating its opening today.

Customers will be offered the same products and services, with two serving positions.

Mrs Guard started her career at a post office in Argyle Street, Swansea where she worked for 20 years.

She said: “I really enjoyed meeting different people every day and getting to know the regulars so wanted to stay as a post assistant.

“Things were very different when I started and the system has adapted and changed over time but I have enjoyed every minute. I then went on to work in Carnglas for 36 years.

“I had a great time there as I was working for my friend and I really loved my job.”

Mrs Guard said the friends she made while working at Carnglas Post Office got her through a hard time in her life when her husband died, 20 years ago.

She said: “When my husband died everyone was so supportive.

“I had a lot of concerned visitors who visited me to give support who I would not have met if I hadn’t have worked in the post office.”

Mrs Guard said she would not have gone back to work if her husband had not passed away.

She said: “People are having to work for longer now.

“I didn’t mind though as I love my job.

“I have been at the Post Office in Killay for 14 years now after originally being taken on part time for six months.

“I am so glad I got to stay longer and I am sad to be leaving as I will miss the customers the most.”

“I am going to use my retirement to enjoy myself and relax. I would like to do some more work with my church and meet my friends for coffee.”

Mrs Guard’s friends and work colleagues organised a surprise retirement tea party for her on Saturday, February 8 at the Village Inn in Killay.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Much-loved post office assistant retires aged 82

Post by Lounge Lizard »

“I am going to use my retirement to enjoy myself and relax. I would like to do some more work with my church and meet my friends for coffee.” :cuppa