ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shop sign falls 8ft onto retired postman’s foot in Newquay

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Shop sign falls 8ft onto retired postman’s foot in Newquay

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Shop sign falls 8 feet onto retired postman’s foot in Newquay

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Shop-si ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A RETIRED postman from Newquay has vowed never to walk under a shop sign again – after one fell eight feet onto his foot.

Paul Bennetto, 65, needed first aid and a medicinal cup of tea in a nearby bar following the accident in Central Square on Wednesday morning.

He had been walking in front of the Korner Kabin bag shop when a van turning out of Gover Lane clipped the sign above the store, causing it to tumble down.

The chunk of wood grazed Mr Bennetto’s shoulder, but luckily he was spritely enough to leap out the way with his foot taking the brunt of the impact.

He told the Cornish Guardian: “I had a lucky escape; it could have been much worse. I know I’m 65 but I’m quite agile for my age so I managed to get out of the way in time. If it had been an 80 year old it could have hit them on the head, which could have been very dangerous.

“Nothing like this has ever happened before. It’s made me think twice before walking under any signs in future.”

Charlotte Rankin, owner of nearby Bar Help, heard the commotion and managed to capture the drama on camera as it unfolded.

She said the delivery van had scuffed the sign, causing it to “crash down” close to Mr Bennetto at around 10.30am.

“He was shocked and shaken so I brought him into Bar Help to sit and wait for the paramedics to arrive,” she said. “We just made him comfortable and gave him a cup of tea, which was the least we could do. He seemed like a lovely gentleman and we were happy to help.”

Mr Bennetto said his foot had been badly bruised in the ordeal, but was recovering well.

Truro-based company The Window Store, which owns the delivery van involved, chose not to make any comment about the incident. The Cornish Guardian has been unable to contact anyone from Korner Kabin,
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Ahebban
Posts: 695
Joined: 19 May 2009, 13:41
Gender: Male
Location: Left of ... Left

Re: Shop sign falls 8ft onto retired postman’s foot in Newqu

Post by Ahebban »

Paul Bennetto, 65, needed first aid and a medicinal cup of tea in a nearby bar
I trust the 'medicinal cup of tea' included a decent slug of brandy too :cuppa
Ahebban - anglo-saxon in origin - meaning 'Wages War'

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain