ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Posties brave elements to prove they’re winners

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Posties brave elements to prove they’re winners

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.garstangcourier.co.uk/news/p ... -1-6296797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s best foot forward for these two Garstang posties as they battle the elements in a contest to see who can wear short shorts for the longest time.

The light-hearted competition has even gained the backing of customers on their respective rounds.

Joanne Stevenson delivers mail along Garstang’s high street, Bonds Lane and surrounding roads. Meanwhile Lee Matinson heads for Catterall. But as both stride out, they’re determined that, whatever the weather, they won’t succumb to long trousers.

Joanne said: “We started it last year. It started off as silly banter really.

“Then it became a bit of man v woman. We probably should have done it for charity!”

Joanne, from Farington Moss, Leyland, and Lee, from Walton Park, Preston, both previously worked delivering mail in Bamber Bridge.

Joanne said: “I’ve been a postie for 10 years and I’ve always worn shorts. It’s movement – there’s no restriction.”

Lee, a postman for the past five and a half years, agreed shorts are a first class choice.

Joanne added: “Customers comment on it. A lot of people come up to you and say how can you still be in shorts? It’s freezing.”

Lee said: “As soon as they ask why we are still in shorts they all get involved.”

The challenge itself has proved contentious at times.

Joanne, whose round covers about six miles, said: “I’ve got a trolley. I’m out in the weather completely. Lee has a van, a van with a heater in it. We never made any rules, just how long we can stay in shorts!”

Lee, who covers 10 to 12 miles each day on his round, replied his van heater is broken.

Joanne conceded that her uniform trousers were worn for one day only in the worst of last winter, when she was ill.

She said: “I caved for one day when I was bad. It was the worst bit of the winter last year when it was windy, rainy and cold and it really got to your bones. He didn’t beat me!”

As for the suggestion they should have been sponsored, they agree it might be a good new year’s opportunity.

Lee has the last word: “Next year Joanne you can lose (the challenge) for charity!”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.