ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PO boss sees off machete-wielding robber with bottle of wate

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

PO boss sees off machete-wielding robber with bottle of wate

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Post office boss sees off machete-wielding robber.... with a bottle of water

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/10855681._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

A PLUCKY post office owner saw off a robber wielding a footlong machete.

Nilesh Chovatiya, owner of Canvey Post Office in High Street, was cashing the tills when the masked crook, with the machete in his hand, entered the store and demanded money.

In a desperate attempt to protect himself Mr Chovatiya, 29, grabbed the nearest item to hand – a small water bottle – and shouted at the robber to leave.

The suspect then trashed the store, throwing boxes of sweets around and tearing down a display of mobile phones before fleeing towards Furtherwick Road.


The raid lasted only 15 seconds, but left Mr Chovatiya shaken.

CCTV footage shows the man staked out the store onlymoments before the robbery.

He said: “The first thing I saw was this machete, which must have been more than a foot long and I was just scared what he was going to do with it. I don’t think he was too prepared, because he didn’t come straight towards me. He just wanted the money.

“It was really frightening. It all happened so quickly and I didn’t have much time to react. I backed away and was looking for something to protect myself, so I grabbed a bottle of water, raised it to him and shouted at him to go.

“The police said the CCTV cameras showed he was circling around the store, looking at what was inside, before he came in.

“I was just so worried about the machete the whole time, I didn’t get a real look at his face.

“It’s the first time it’s happened here since I took over the shop and you just never think it will happen to you.”

The suspect was about 6ft tall and slim. He was wearing a black balaclava with a white logo, black gloves, and a black shiny jacket.

Police are investigating.

Anyone with information can call Southend police on 101.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.