ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Runner races for 60th celebrations

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Runner races for 60th celebrations

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/n ... -1-5725200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A dedicated runner from West Sussex will celebrate turning 60 by taking on a total of 60 10k races.

Gail Johnson, 59, from Broadbridge Heath, is taking on the challenge ahead of her 60th birthday in May 2014.

She is raising money for two West Sussex charities, Chestnut Tree House children's hospice and St Catherine's Hospice.

Gail, a postal worker for Royal Mail, has already completed 37 of her 60 runs. However, she plans to re-run one of the races as she failed to complete it in under 60 minutes.

Gail said: "For my 50th I did an iron man triathlon and so for my 60th I thought I'd have a go at something else.

"So far I've completed 37 runs, although one of which I want to re-run, as having promised myself I would complete them all in less than 60 minutes, being nine seconds over just isn't good enough!

"My fastest time so far is 49 minutes and 45 seconds and my average is around 57 minutes. Not bad for someone almost 60!

"I have received such fantastic support from my friends and family, keeping me going every step of the way.

"My work has been great too, as walking around eight miles on my rounds each day, delivering post, has kept me supple when my joints have been a little stiff!"

Gail explained that the two hospice charities are close to her heart.

She said: "I am a grandmother, and am inspired by my grandchildren to support Chestnut Tree House, who cares for children and young adults with life-limiting conditions across Sussex.

"My father was also set to go to St Catherine's Hospice, but sadly passed away before he got there. Both charities do such fantastic work and I am proud to support them through my challenge."

Jayne Todd, community fundraiser for Chestnut Tree House, said: "On behalf of everyone at Chestnut Tree House, I would like to thank Gail for her amazing efforts. Running a 10k race is a challenge for most people but running 60 altogether is simply amazing.

"So far Gail has raised almost £300, a fantastic amount that will pay for a child to spend the day at Chestnut Tree House, enjoying the facilities and giving mum and dad a break from the daily care of a life-limited child."

To sponsor Gail, visit her Virgin Money Giving page at http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/gailjohnson60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.