ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postbag bursts with Post Office broadband woe

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postbag bursts with Post Office broadband woe

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/o ... adband-woe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Complaints over recent failures with the Post Office's broadband offering continue to swell our mailbag

I have just read the letter from JB of Dunster, complaining they were unable to contact the Post Office's home phone service – they have my sympathy. I am with Post Office home phone and broadband, and on 1 September it decided to upgrade the system, with disastrous results.

I, and I imagine thousands of other people, had no email account for 14 days. I was so fed up that I wrote to the chairman of the Post Office, and received a reply within two days. Not that it did much good, except I received numerous phone calls apologising for the problems they were having. Trying to call the Post Office was a complete waste of time – on one occasion I left it to ring and it was 2hrs 20 minutes before I got a reply. My answer is to change to another phone and broadband supplier. MA, by email

• My local sub-Post Office in the St Werburghs area of Bristol has been shut for a fortnight due to an ISP/broadband line failure. This has impacted severely on the whole community, in addition to the livelihoods of the two cashier employees. I wondered if you might help free the gridlock, as it seems incredible that whole communities can be made to suffer when private "communications" companies deal out their own process of justice. SC, Bristol

• My mother- and father-in-law's Post Office phone line hasn't worked for more than a fortnight now, and when they try ringing customer services they can't get through, which is ridiculous. They are both in their seventies. MS, Stoke

The meltdown at the Post Office's home phone division continues, although its telephones are now being answered again. We have many other letters similar to these, and it appears to have been caused by the company switching its wholesale supplier from BT to TalkTalk.

We forwarded these letters on, and the Post Office told us it is doing everything it can to get MS's parents-in-law reconnected. However, it says that following an investigation the problems SC is experiencing in Bristol are unrelated to the main problem. This was caused by a switch between other unrelated suppliers.

"We are extremely sorry to hear of the problems our customers are experiencing with Post Office's broadband and phone service," a spokeswoman say. "We fully accept that our current levels of service have fallen below our usual high standards, and this is unacceptable. We would like to reassure customers that we are committed to resolving these service issues and are working hard to rectify these problems swiftly."

This looks like a case of a firm switching supplier to save some money, only for it to end up costing more than the savings made in lost customer goodwill. If you were thinking of signing up to the Post Office's home phone/broadband service, you may want to want to wait a while.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.