ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.printweek.com/Business/artic ... ommitment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Royal Mail has said that a strike ballot scheduled for next week "makes no sense".

Following government confirmation yesterday that Royal Mail is to be privatised, with an initial public offering in the coming weeks, the Communication Workers Union (CWU) confirmed its intent to carry out a planned ballot of 125,000 members on 20 September for a national postal strike.


The CWU will announce the result on 3 October, with seven days’ notice necessary before any industrial action could begin, meaning workers could strike from 10 October.

But Royal Mail chief executive Moya Greene has criticised the move.

She said: "Talk of a ballot for industrial action makes no sense when there is a significant three-year deal on the table and negotiations are ongoing. It is now time for Royal Mail and the CWU to come to a new agreement for our people going forward.

"I understand our people's concern that they should have protections in place as Royal Mail is privatised, which is why we have proposed a ground-breaking three-year, legally binding agreement including a highly competitive pay offer of 8.6%.

"But the company and our customers need protections too. We want to ensure that, in future, any disputes are settled through dialogue, mediation and arbitration.

"It is because our customers trust us and value the service we provide that there should not be a strike at this crucial time. If businesses can't rely on us, they will look elsewhere to protect their own business."

The CWU is in dispute with the national postal service over pay and conditions. Open-ended talks between the two sides are ongoing with, as yet, no settlement being reached.

In June, a consultative ballot of CWU members voted overwhelmingly (96%) against privatisation and in favour of the CWU pay claim and a policy of non-cooperation. Of the 74% who responded, 92% also supported a boycott of DSA providers.

Yesterday, the CWU confirmed that it was seeking legal advice on how to incorporate such a boycott as part of any industrial action that may take place.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by fishtank »

Moya wrote: We want to ensure that, in future, any disputes are settled through dialogue, mediation and arbitration.
Straight from the horse's ass.
A no strike deal.

People should really think long and hard about that,not at national level but what the impact of a no strike agreement would mean at local level.
A rule 13 industrial action ballot is a balance against executive action,like both sides having nuclear weapons it maintains an uneasy peace.
Without it management will impose change at local level and play games with Moya's dialogue, mediation and arbitration as they already try to do with both the disagreement and grievance procedures.
I don't believe that HQ would ever agree to a no strike deal but if they did they would be writing their own suicide note.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

RM's, and Moya's, only actual concern is trying to stave off a strike until the flotation has been achieved, nothing more.
And if they manage that, I'd expect the 3 year deal to be pulled off the table faster than a wig comes off a mans head in hurricane winds.

I also believe that a positive vote is the only way to make RM improve its offer to an acceptable level. If at all.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
daveallum
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 175
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 17:42
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by daveallum »

Whats the point in having a new agreement when RM started to ignore the 2010 agreement as soon as the ink was dry?
gerardy
Posts: 315
Joined: 21 Feb 2009, 12:14
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by gerardy »

We definately need a legally binding agreement to be put in place considering the fact Moya Greene said herself at the national reps meeting that not one of the agreements that are in place between the Royal Mail and CWU are legally binding which basically lets us know what is going to happen if privatisation goes ahead.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Any new agreements will be no more or less legally binding than previous ones.
So it's kind of irrelevant.
Any new owner/majority shareholder will just say 'I/we didn't sign up to/agree that'.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by k979aaa »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:Any new agreements will be no more or less legally binding than previous ones.
So it's kind of irrelevant.
Any new owner/majority shareholder will just say 'I/we didn't sign up to/agree that'.
Exactly why would any company tie their hands with a deal even before the three year's are up never mind after!.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by cloherty1976 »

Remember this is a ipo flotation so it is unlikely there will be a majority shareholder more like a pension fund will hold maybe a maximum of 10% but this will take time. In 6 months time we will have had 6% in payrise which is better in our pockets than theirs.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by Surreypostie »

She really doesn't get it, I'll strike as I'm sick of being harrassed into working past my time by bullying managers, they already stole my pension a few years back and we just accepted it. No more, time to draw a line.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by Judgee »

Cloherty who are you? I find it hard to believe you are a Royal mail worker. Your views and opinions always come with a tinge of management bias. Are you a management plant or just a mercenary fool? :hmmmm

For those thinking this 10% share issue will be all that it's cracked up to be. Take it from me, someone that has dabbled with shares (real ones not imaginary ones). The 10% we will be given, we will be unable to cash in for at least 3 years. In that time they will be diluted continuously in the name of "raising capital to help sustain and improve the business". By the time we can cash them in they will be worth 1% of their original value at best. At which time the market will be aware that our shares will be coming on to the market and there will be a mass bail out dropping the value even further. Forget all this rubbish about them being worth £3000 by the time we can cash them in you will be lucky to buy a packet of fags with the proceeds!

Striking (or at least the threat of it)is our last and only hope to secure a deal involving real issues. Pensions, job security and working conditions if this fails believe me you ain't seen nothing yet. :speak to the hand
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by NWpostie »

Too many strings that you could set up your own puppet show.

Lessons needs to be learned from the 2007 pay and modernisation and BT 2010 agreements, not to mention the Colleague shares fiasco, the result all of which is felt today and none of us should not be fooled. runners and short termers needs to have it drummed into their thick heads the consequences of signing away their soul for an upfront cash bribe without considering the implication of the long term deal.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 736
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
Gender: Female
Location: Tree house

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by Shambles »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:RM's, and Moya's, only actual concern is trying to stave off a strike until the flotation has been achieved, nothing more.
And if they manage that, I'd expect the 3 year deal to be pulled off the table faster than a wig comes off a mans head in hurricane winds. Sexist...women wear wiggles too.... :chuckle

I also believe that a positive vote is the only way to make RM improve its offer to an acceptable level. If at all.
:Applause 100% right, she will move onto the next company with huge pay-off, if she manages to pull this BS Off

Vince 'Unable' will be dolling out the dosh she gave :left: back :left:

Wakey fookin wakey

Smell the Quafffee :cuppa
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by cloherty1976 »

Judgee as I always say I am no manager. I have worked here for over 25 years and have done all jobs from delivery to processing distribution and now logistics. I have never been bullied or harassed and have enjoyed my job. If I did not i would have left a long time ago. I am in a good position in my life in terms of investments which has been given to me via my Royal Mail salary which I have invested and things at the moment are looking good but that is not to say I won't blow it making bad desicions in the future. I do not hide the fact I want to invest in the company I work for and will buy a substantial amount and I suppose you might be happy if it goes wrong. Let me just say again I am no manager and have just come back from a Saturday night driving to ndc to pick up a trailer of 98 yorks . It's not fun working a Saturday night but that is my job and I picked it. I am a senior bloke and years ago you could pick say a 4 night week and never work your weekends but now they have changed things and you have to rotate with 6 different weeks work of all times and days which the union agreed so you have to go along with it. Ie we have a bloke in set with 30 years and a newbie with 2 years in the set and that is how life is at our office. Any way off to bed now..
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by trythat »

I'd like to think we never have to vote on a 'no strike' deal, especially as we know quite a few staff only have to have a few quid dangled in front of them for them to buckle and do whatever they are told and of course then moan when everything goes pear shape.
Shambles
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 736
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 21:30
Gender: Female
Location: Tree house

Re: Royal Mail rejects CWU strike ballot commitment

Post by Shambles »

cloherty1976 wrote:Judgee as I always say ;liar I am no manager ;liar I have worked :left: here for over 25 years and have Managed all jobs from delivery to processing distribution and now logistics. I have never been bullied or harassed because, I'm high up the food chain and have enjoyed my job. If I did not Have the ability to call the shots from my Ivory Tower i would have left a long time ago. I am in a good position in my life in terms of investments As one of the 1% which has been given to me via my Royal Mail salary and Huge Bonuses etc which I have invested in Kopi Luwak and things at the moment are looking good Beeeehind you! :evil/mad but that is not to say I won't blow it not the Kopi Luwak I meant by making bad desicions Ie promoting Privatisation, which with our aim of eroding T&C, pensions in the future. I do not hide the fact I want to invest in the company As A Capatalist it's my God Given Right who I work for and will buy a substantial amount With my Managers Bonus and I suppose you might be happy if it goes wrong. HAPPY, trust me doesn't even touch the fringe Let me just say again drone blah blah I am no manager ;liar and have just come back from a Saturday night driving to ndc With the IB to pick up a trailer of 98 yorks . It's not fun working a Saturday night but I get Double Pay that is my job and I picked it. I am a senior bloke in Management and years ago you could pick say a 4 night week and never work your weekends but now We have changed things and you have to rotate with 6 different weeks work of all times and days which We forced the union To agree [/color] To so you have to go along with it. :evil/mad we have a bloke in set with 30 years and a newbie with 2 years in the set and that is how life is at our office. Any way off to bed now..
Sleep tight :silenced

Posted without prejudice :angel
I have No Friends,
Or Enemies....
Only Teachers.