ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Facebook group launched to spread goodwill has 3000 members

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Facebook group launched to spread goodwill has 3000 members

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Facebook group launched to spread goodwill hits 3,000 members in just a week

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... ll-5754850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charlie Anderson expected 20 to 30 people to join the "People Help the People" group, but so far 3,214 are supporting it

The next global phenomenon may have started in Bracknell after a double-glazing salesman’s new Facebook group gained nearly 3,000 members in a week.

Charlie ‘Chopper’ Anderson was inspired to spread goodwill after watching an episode of The Secret Millionaire on Wednesday, August 7, but was overwhelmed when ‘People Help The People’ gathered pace.

The 34-year-old, from Warfield, said: “I decided to start a little group and see how it goes, expecting about 20 to 30 people but then it exploded.”

The group, which is also run by Hayley Smith, aims to find people in Bracknell, Ascot, Sunningdale and Windsor in need, and offer them services at a discounted rate or for free, or help them raise money for something they desperately need.

The dad-of-three said: “I think we should rely on the kindness of strangers and get every community together to help each other out – it doesn’t have to be financial.

“We have helped quite a few people, we are nominating a care home to have a singer go there, people offering free stuff and members helped give a massive donation of food to someone in need.

“We are looking for people in need, not just people looking for free stuff – I check if they are genuine and delete if anybody takes the mick.”

Like The Secret Millionaire, it was moving from humble beginnings which inspired Charlie to help others.

He said: “When I was a kid we lived in Liverpool in a council house and I would beg for money outside the pub.”

Charlie and his mum moved to Bracknell when he was eight and he has worked his way up to become one of the top sellers for Anglian Windows, allowing his family to live comfortably.

He said: “It was tough when I was young and I need to give back now.”

Group member Toni Collins, 39, from Bullbrook, said: “I didn’t think Bracknell was one of those towns but what they are willing to do is phenomenal. I can’t praise it highly enough, it is needed desperately and has massive potential to go global.”

Charlie plans to register People Help The People as a charity and a website http://www.people-help-the-people.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is due to go live next week.

A postwoman turned to People Help The People to ask advice on getting pregnant but was “stunned” when admin Hayley Smith offered to help fundraise £6,500 for her to have IVF.

Sylvia Sawkins is 37 and she and husband Daniel are desperate to have a baby after trying for four years, but in Bracknell she is deemed “too old” to receive IVF on the NHS.

Sylvia, of Crown Wood, said: “Having a baby is very important for both of us.”

She has been offered healing crystals and reflexology for free since asking the group for advice.

She said: “Hayley contacted me on Facebook and said we would like to raise money for you to have IVF – my husband and I are in awe.

“We are so stunned by it – all I wanted was advice.”

The group will raise money by auctioning items and everyone who receives something for free will be asked to donate if they can afford to.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.