ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wymondham postman raises hundreds for charity

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Wymondham postman raises hundreds for charity

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Wymondham postman raises hundreds for charity after taking part in RideLondon

http://www.norwichadvertiser24.co.uk/ne ... _1_2332268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A south Norfolk postman has cycled 100 miles and raised thousands of pounds for a cause close to his heart.

Dean Phillips took part in RideLondon, a two-day festival of cycling marking the legacy of the 2012 Olympic Games, in aid of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, an organisation which aims to find a cure for the condition.

Mr Phillips, who lives in Herb Robert Glade, with his wife, Sue, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four years ago.

The 44-year-old, who has worked as a postman in the Wymondham area for more than 20 years, said: “It was fabulous, it was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. The event was well organised and I felt like a professional rider.

“The best part of the ride was going through Box Hill and the hardest part was Leaf Hill.

“It was great to know that the Olympic riders had been through there. Coming back into London was brilliant and cycling through Chelsea and seeing Buckingham Palace in front of you nearly brought a tear to my eye,” the former marathon runner said.

Supporters from the JDRF cheered him along the route, which he cycled in five and a half hours.

“I am very pleased with that time,” he said. “I stopped at the feed stations at 25 and 75 miles and my blood sugar was stable all the way around.”

And his efforts were not in vain as he managed to raise a whopping £2,850 for the JDRF.

“I thought if I raised £1,000 then I would be happy but I was blown away.

“I would like to thank everybody who has supported me and everyone on my round in Wicklewood.” Mr Phillips added.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.