http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... n/10604230._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A DRIVER from Blackburn has spoken of his anger after he was turned away from a post office because he refused to tell staff what was in his parcel.
Steve Raphael went to the Whalley Banks branch to post a children’s toy he had sold on internet auction site eBay to the winning bidder.
But he was told nothing would be sent unless the clerk knew what was in the package.
Last month the Post Office tightened up restrictions on what could be sent by mail.
The 53-year-old said: “I was asked what was in my parcel and I said nothing prohibited. The girl dug her heels in and I dug in mine and the end result was I left with my parcel.
“I have been refused service because I did not want to tell them what was in the box. It’s wrong. We live in a democracy.”
Mr Raphael, who lives in Grafton Street, Hollins Bank, said he had never been asked before and had sent around 30 parcels in the past month, items he had sold on eBay.
He said: “I’m not a serial complainer but I’m seriously hacked off. It’s a disgrace.
“They are not entitled to ask what is in my parcel. It’s actually a small plastic garage for cars but it’s the principle. What will be next, ‘where are your papers?’.”
Mr Raphael said he later visited the main Post Office in the town centre and was shown a leaflet detailing prohibited and restricted items, which came into force on July 15 On its website, the Post Office said: “You are responsible for checking whether or not an item is prohibited or restricted.”
Mr Raphael said: “I’m going to use a courier who is subject to the same rules and regulations but would not have the audacity to ask me what’s in my mail. I’m also going to speak to Jack Straw about it.”
The branch manager at Whalley Banks declined to comment.
A spokesman for the Post Office said: “As part of our terms and conditions, we can’t accept any package without knowing what is inside.
“If the item is going abroad, there is further impact because if the contents are not described accurately the item will be returned by customs.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Blackburn man's anger over Post Office 'nosy parkers'
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Blackburn man's anger over Post Office 'nosy parkers'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Blackburn man's anger over Post Office 'nosy parkers'
Yes that's why they want to know its contents, they're just nosy.
It Is to comply with the law.
People do lie when posting things, that's why declarations are required internationally. That's why they need to know the contents, to demonstrate that POL and its staff are obeying the law.
This is a case of an obstinate customer, nothing more.
And the fact a third party courier won't ask what's in the parcel is irrelevant, they are subject to the same laws, especially on international/air travel, and so would suffer any consequences relating to failing to find out a packages contents, should something happen.
It Is to comply with the law.
People do lie when posting things, that's why declarations are required internationally. That's why they need to know the contents, to demonstrate that POL and its staff are obeying the law.
This is a case of an obstinate customer, nothing more.
And the fact a third party courier won't ask what's in the parcel is irrelevant, they are subject to the same laws, especially on international/air travel, and so would suffer any consequences relating to failing to find out a packages contents, should something happen.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Blackburn man's anger over Post Office 'nosy parkers'
We live in a democracy this guy is deluded into his own fantasy land or what. The reason she was asking was to prevent the item being returned or a customs charge being applied. MY HOME IS MY CASTLE , MY DOG NEVER BITES ANYONE ,THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT , MY DEMOCRATIC RIGHT'S ARE BEING INFRINGED ! I REST MY CASE.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Blackburn man's anger over Post Office 'nosy parkers'
I bet he can't wait to hear from youTrueBlueTerrier wrote: "I’m also going to speak to Jack Straw about it"
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.