http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news ... -1-5362359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A talented chess fanatic from Peterborough is celebrating after winning a national contest at the ninth attempt.
Francis Bowers (42) of Penine Way, Gunthorpe triumphed at the Civil Service Sports Council national chess contest held at Leeds University last month.
Francis, who has been playing the game since the age of six, was competing at the annual contest for the ninth time and said he was delighted to have won.
“It’s very pleasing to be able say I’m a national champion. I was seeded in second place so I was able to beat this ranking and come away with trophy,” Francis told the PT.
Francis, a Royal Mail worker, is a member of the New England Chess Club in Peterborough and also teaches the game to youngsters at Peterborough Academy.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman Francis delivers national chess crown
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman Francis delivers national chess crown
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.