ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Residents quiz PO representative over Dagenham branch

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Residents quiz PO representative over Dagenham branch

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Residents quiz Post Office representative over Dagenham branch privatisation

http://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk ... _1_2291978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

A Post Office representative was put on the spot by residents over the proposed privatisation of the Dagenham Heathway branch.

Under current plans, the branch will be sold to a private retail partner which will run a smaller Post Office within it.

A meeting was held at the village hall in Vicarage Road, Dagenham, by MP Jon Cruddas, local councillors, the Communication Workers Union (CWU) and a representative from the Post Office, giving the public the chance to express their concerns.

Many raised doubts that a small Post Office within a retail store would be able to cope with the level of service currently delivered.

Ian Wall, from the CWU, said that numerous studies have shown that franchised Post Offices perform badly in respect of queue times, quality of service and accessibility.

Mr Cruddas commented: “The Dagenham Heathway Crown Post Office is vital to so many people. When I walk past I regularly see people queuing around the block and I know that the staff are doing an amazing job, making the Post Office a real anchor in the local community.

“What I don’t want to see is a race to the bottom for staff terms and conditions, diminished services for the public and yet another disappointment for the Heathway shopping district. Further public consultation has been promised by the Post Office and I will do all I can to hold them to this.”

CWU members working at the branch have taken part in numerous strikes since the beginning of the year to protest the changes, with staff fearing that franchising the branch could mean pay cuts and job losses.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.