http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Tamwort ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A TAMWORTH postman who first jotted the ideas for a new teen tale onto a missed delivery slip has signed a major book deal.
Ben Davis, of Kettlebrook, scribbled down the foundations of his story, The Private Blog of Joe Cowley, during a morning shift.
And just months ago, his story was snapped up by Oxford University Press – one of seven publishers who were interested in the tale. Thousands of copies are now set to hit the bookshelves.
Ben, aged 27, said: “I just wrote it for something to do, so for a publisher to say they are interested in it was quite shocking.
“I can’t believe it. I think the worst a lot of the time so to hear this good news, I felt so pleased.
“I got the idea while at work and jotted down the main ideas on a red slip. The idea just came to me, and then I ran with it from there.”
The former Woodhouse High School pupil balanced his five-day-a-week job alongside penning the novel.
He said: “I started writing it in summer 2010 and then gave up. But two years ago, I thought that there was something in it and started again.”
The book, written for young adults, tells the tale of 14-year-old Joe Cowley. He is forced to share a bedroom with school bully Gav James, after his divorced mother marries his arch enemy’s father.
For Ben, the book’s main character was modelled on himself as a teenager.
He said: “My parents weren’t divorced, they’re still together, and I didn’t move in with the school bully’s family, but I was alot like Joe as a child. He’s a geeky character and that’s what I was like at school.”
The 352-page novel, which is presented as an illustrated diary, took two years to write and was completed in Autumn, but required several rewrites and was also shortened down.
The book will be released in April 2014 as part of a major publicity campaign – and the deal will also see a follow-up title released in 2015.
Ben has already received rave reviews from publishers.
He said: “The feedback has been positive. They’ve compared it to the Adrian Mole series and The Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
“It will appeal for those a little more grown-up.”
But Ben said he will continue his job with the Royal Mail, where he has worked for three years, for the foreseeable future.
He said: “I do love my job. I'm not giving it up just yet, and will still be making my rounds around Tamworth.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tamworth postman signs major book deal
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Tamworth postman signs major book deal
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
BernardBresslaw
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Tamworth postman signs major book deal
Sounds a little like the plot to the film 'Step Brothers' (allegedly)
Good luck to him.
Good luck to him.
-
Thunderthighs
- Posts: 990
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Tamworth postman signs major book deal
I had a "Major Book Deal" today too.
Delivered about 30 Amazon packets!
Delivered about 30 Amazon packets!
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Tamworth postman signs major book deal
Suppose it would depend on your take on a major book deal. But good luck to him, hope he earns enough to tell RM where to shove their job.
Should he desire to.....
Should he desire to.....
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.