ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

'Hero' postie gives chase through Stafford

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

'Hero' postie gives chase through Stafford

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.u ... 072013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A HAVE-A-GO postman chased a suspect and cornered him in a garden until police arrived in Stafford.

Quick-thinking dad-of-three Andrew Mills has been thanked by police for his efforts when he leapt into action following a suspected theft.

The drama began at the Tesco Express petrol station in Rising Brook on June 29 when customers reported that something was wrong with the cash machine at the site. A skimming device, used by criminals to read people’s card details, was found.

But Mr Mills, from Highfields, who had been sitting in his car on the forecourt, had noticed two men hanging around. When a member of staff came out to look at the machine both men suddenly ran off.

Mr Mills, 35, followed them and drove up to Burton Square. He stopped and said he wanted to talk about the cash machine at Tesco. Both men made a run for it and Mr Mills got out and chased them. He lost one but chased the other over a fence and eventually into a garden in Hazelton Green.

In the meantime his partner Stephanie Spiers called police, who arrived and arrested the man, who was wanted on a warrant after fail- ing to appear in court for another offence.

Mr Mills said: “My children think I’m a hero. I didn’t really think too much about it, I just followed them because I felt something wasn’t quite right.

“The police arrived a couple of minutes after I’d caught him and I couldn’t believe it when they told me he was wanted elsewhere.

“I’ve never done anything like this before. I work as a postman and don’t have any plans to go into the police after this.”

A skimming device was recovered, but there was no evidence any card details or cash had been taken.

A Staffordshire Police spokesman thanked Mr Mills for his actions.

And Philip Thurlow-Craig, chair- man of Stafford Borough Crime Prevention Panel, added: “People who do this sort of thing are help- ing as they are acting as the eyes and ears of the police in the community.”

A man has been remanded in custody to appear at Wolverhampton Crown Court on July 15, in connection with the warrant.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: 'Hero' postie gives chase through Stafford

Post by Pat Ostman »

The postman was subsequently suspended for going 'off route' by management and for taking too long to finish his round.

His appeal hearing, headed by the original managers mates, will be heard after they get back from playing golf. Royal Mail declined to comment as the control and V keys were broken on their computer.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: 'Hero' postie gives chase through Stafford

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

:chuckle