Protestors gather outside Whitstable post office to support striking postal workers.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_gaz ... lans-2286/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Campaigners staged a protest on Thursday to support striking postal workers over fears Whitstable will lose its crown post office.
About 50 protestors met outside the branch in Gladstone Road, Whitstable, at 2pm to pledge support to workers during the sixth day of strike action this year.
Members of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) organised the protest as part of a campaign to protect the post office from closure.
Gladstone Road is one of 76 crown post offices facing closure across the UK.
Among the group were union members, councillors, postal workers, supporters and shopkeepers who closed their shops in a show of solidarity.
Mole Meade, Kent CWU representative, said the loss of a crown post office in Whitstable could be the first step towards becoming a ghost town.
He said: "I'm overwhelmed by people supporting Whitstable's crown post office workers.
"I'd like to apologise for any inconvenience but it is about making sure they have genuine, meaningful services moving forward."
Mary-Jane Higginson, owner of Buttercup in Harbour Street, closed her shop to support the campaign.
She said: "I wanted to support this protest against the closure of the post office which is an essential part of Whitstable.
"It is at the heart of the community and without this I don't know how Whitstable is going to function."
More strike action has been planned for the Gladstone Road branch on Saturday, June 29.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Protestors gather outside Whitstable post office to support
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Protestors gather outside Whitstable post office to support
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.