http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/n ... -1-5184180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Went along to the public meeting organised by the Communication Workers’ Union with representatives of the town council and Post Office Limited, and although it was a Labour-initiated campaign to begin with and the petition was launched by them, it was good to see councillors of all persuasions in attendance, showing it to be a Littlehampton battle and not a political point-scorer.
Been there before though, twice in fact. Same questions from the floor, same empty answers from POL. We lost a similar battle over closure of the Rustington post office and an excellent sub post office in Norfolk Road just a few years back.
Many protested then, but the promised ‘consultation’ was like all consultations, a lip service to quieten the restless crowd – it is an empty word we have become extremely wary of.
POL like our own Arun District Council, loves the word, but it is quite meaningless to them, as the decisions are made long before the proposals for ‘consultation’ ever reach us. Witness the shenanigans with the Windmill Entertainment Centre and you may foresee the outcome of this latest bash at LA.
I will walk the walk and talk the talk but in all honesty I do sadly believe, in spite of a heroic effort from councillor Mike Northeast and many others, The Arcade post office is at the mercy of POL and they will go ahead with whatever they have already decided, which will be whatever suits them best.
The petition of getting on for 2,000 signatures so far – the real LA consultation – will be ignored. The big question will remain, though – where on earth can they relocate the very busy and excellent provision we already have? I know LA pretty well and if there is a suitable alternative, I’ll be blessed if I can see it!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
We should beware the empty word, consultation
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
We should beware the empty word, consultation
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.