http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/4-000-pay ... -1-5705401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postwoman who broke her arm after slipping in a pool of water in a delivery office caused by a leaking roof has won £4,000 damages.
Maureen Fenoughty was wearing snow chains on her feet – which she had informed her manager were a size too small – when she fell at the Royal Mail’s Sheffield East Delivery Office in Attercliffe.
The 56-year-old, of Crookes, Sheffield, was wearing the chains to help her with the snowy weather conditions on her delivery round.
She needed surgery to pin her arm and a second operation to remove a chipped bone and still suffers side effects three years later.
The postwoman, who has worked for the Royal Mail for 15 years, said: “It was common knowledge that after heavy rainfall or snow the flat roof of the office would leak on to the work stations, which should have been dealt with sooner to prevent accidents like this. The office was closed down soon after my accident.
“As I was walking out of the building, I slipped in a pool of water which had gathered round one of the workstations and fell heavily on to the concrete floor.
“I landed on my back and the pain in my wrist and arm was excruciating.
“I’ve been in agony ever since and it’s been really frustrating not being able to do the everyday jobs I took for granted, such as the housework and shopping.
“I have to take painkillers almost every day to help me do my delivery round.
“Not being able to paint, draw and do the gardening as often as I used to has been so hard for me because these are things I love to do.”
Rosalyn Holmes, of Sheffield-based law firm Irwin Mitchell, said: “Her case highlights how important it is for employers to maintain health and safety standards so employees can carry out their jobs safely.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
£4,000 pay out for postwoman
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
£4,000 pay out for postwoman
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: £4,000 pay out for postwoman
The postwoman, who has worked for the Royal Mail for 15 years, said: “It was common knowledge that after heavy rainfall or snow the flat roof of the office would leak on to the work stations"
In that case she might have taken more care. 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: £4,000 pay out for postwoman
Which is no doubt reflected in the payout. http://www.personalinjury-claims-leeds. ... tAod9BYAXA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You compensation will include a payout for any losses you have incurred, for example, loss of income, medical expenses, travel expenses, care costs and so on. As far as compensation for the injury itself is concerned, the following is a rough guide to compensation for arm injuries:
• Minor injury – up to £4,000
• More serious fractures – up to £12,000
• Significant injuries – up to £25,000
• Serious arm injuries – up to £80,000
• Arm injury requiring amputation – up to £190,000
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: £4,000 pay out for postwoman
Yes,they should have put up a sign telling people to crawl out of the building then they could have saved all that money and not bother to do any repairs.Lounge Lizard wrote:The postwoman, who has worked for the Royal Mail for 15 years, said: “It was common knowledge that after heavy rainfall or snow the flat roof of the office would leak on to the work stations"In that case she might have taken more care.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: £4,000 pay out for postwoman
She shouldn't have been wearing snow chains inside anyway, that's probably why the payout was so low.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: £4,000 pay out for postwoman
DGP1 wrote:She shouldn't have been wearing snow chains inside anyway, that's probably why the payout was so low.
Yup I was thinking that!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?