First class postman honoured by villagers for 38 years service
http://www.mkweb.co.uk/News/First-class ... 181334.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Villagers have honoured a postman who had been delivering letters to their homes for 38 years.
Bill Smith, 64, was thanked by residents in Bow Brickhill at a tea party at the village hall in Rushmere Drive when he was presented with a silver photo frame as a memento of the occasion.
Bill said: “It was unbelievable. It seemed like half the village had turned out. It was brilliant, but all I have ever done is my job.”
Due to mobility problems, Bill now does light postage delivery at Walton Grange in the mornings and works at the Royal Mail centre in Brinklow in the afternoons.
He started working for Royal Mail in 1964, delivering telegrams in London, before moving up to Milton Keynes.
And Bill has said that the art of a being a postman has changed a bit since he first started his job.
“There’s a lot more to do nowadays. You used to be able to stop and have a chat with people, but there isn’t as much time to do that now. But I still enjoy my job, I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world.”
The tea party was secretly organised by Mary Preen, who said: “We all love Bill because he’s been so dedicated to us for such a long time. I can’t begin to list all the services he’s provided for Bow Brickhill, but it was testament to his dedication that everyone came along to thank him.”
The party was a big surprise to Bill, but he had had a few clues that something was going on.
“My family were taking me to the Village Hall, and I noticed there was an awful lot of cars about,” he said.
“When we got there I saw my five-year-old grandson Oscar peeping out of the curtains. But it was lovely, my wife and family were all in on it. It’s a fantastic memory and the photo frame is already set up in the living room.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
First class postman honoured by villagers for 38 years servi
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
First class postman honoured by villagers for 38 years servi
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: First class postman honoured by villagers for 38 years s
"Bill Smith, 64, was thanked by residents in Bow Brickhill at a tea party at the village hall .... The tea party was secretly organised by Mary Preen".
Bill had hoped that Mary would have 'secretly organised' a breakfast which, given his early start, would have been much more appropriate than a tea party.
Bill had hoped that Mary would have 'secretly organised' a breakfast which, given his early start, would have been much more appropriate than a tea party.