http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5603325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman who was seriously injured when he was knocked off his bicycle by a Royal mail van has won a £7,300 compensation payout.
David Thompson, 62, was cycling home after a night shift at the Leeds Mail Centre when he was struck by the post van at the junction of Pontefract Road and Queen Street.
Mr Thompson was taken to hospital where he was treated for numerous injuries including soft tissue damage to his ribs, chest wall, thigh, loin, and the lumbar region of his spine.
As a member of the Communication Workers Union, Mr Thompson was entitled to legal help from Simpson Millar solicitors following the accident, which happened in December 2011.
They took up the case and Mr Thompson has won £7,300 compensation.
Mr Thompson said: “The impact of the collision sent me flying across the road and into the other lane.
“I was lucky it was so early in the morning otherwise I could easily have been killed by oncoming traffic.
“Thankfully my helmet remained on my head which is what I believe saved me from an even more serious injury.
“For the first few weeks I slept in a chair downstairs. I was in so much pain and it was the only way I could get comfortable. It was a dreadful Christmas for the whole family.
“When I returned to work in January, I was given light duties and shorter hours to help my rehabilitation.” Susan Vanden, a partner at Simpson Millar who specialises in road traffic accident personal injury claims, took on the case.
Mr Thompson said: “Susan and her team were amazing - leaving no stone unturned. They even managed to track down missing medical information which helped my claim.
“The incident has left me traumatised and I’ll never ride a bike again. The compensation helps but this is something that will stay with me forever.”
Mr Thompson now has to catch public transport to and from the Royal Mail Centre, which has increased work-related costs and added more time to his journey.
He added: “I have to get off the bus two stops ahead of my workplace so that I can use the pedestrian crossing, I’m so anxious and wary of the traffic. My advice to other cyclists is to always wear a helmet.”
Susan Vanden said: “David’s case wasn’t simply about seeking compensation for his physical injuries. The incident seriously affected his mental wellbeing.
“It was clear that he had a significant amount of cycling experience and the loss of confidence on the road changed his life.
“Hopefully the compensation will make a difference and I am glad that we were able to help.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Payout for Leeds postman injured by mail van
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Payout for Leeds postman injured by mail van
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.