not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT CWU : We have announced an industrial action ballot timetable in Royal Mail group - ballot papers will be dispatched on 24th September if no agreement is reached before then. HERE

Action to save Holbeach sorting office.

27 Mar 2007, 12:17

Postal staff are launching a campaign to keep their Holbeach sorting office open – and will take industrial action if necessary.
Despite Royal Mail denials, speculation has been rife that the Barrington Gate office will close in a cost-cutting exercise.

Communication Workers' Union (CWU) members fear postmen will have to travel to Spalding before starting their rounds. Several of them don't have cars – eight use bicycles to deliver post – and are concerned about buying and running a car.

They also fear shifts and routes may be altered and that their home lives would be affected by extended travelling time.

Members became aware of the possibility of closure during November, and recently local manager Paul Hall renewed concerns when he told members that the only issue still to be resolved before the closure was the parking of Royal Mail vans at the Spalding office.

Eighteen out of 30 members attended the meeting at the Station Inn, organised by area delivery representative Adam Oakes.

Mr Oakes said: "We saw in the press that there were 'no immediate plans' to close our office, and the word immediate says it all. I am aware that when the car park details have been finalised, the office will close.

"I'm going to do my own feasibility study on petrol use by the vans which will be doing a lot of travel to see if money would be saved."

The callers' office – where packages and parcels can be picked up – is closing and this will lead to increased congestion as people pick them up from Holbeach High Street.

A poster, petition and leaflet campaign is planned and letters have already been sent to MP John Hayes, county councillors and local businesses.

CWU eastern regional secretary Paul Moffatt said the campaign would be given full regional and national support.

Mr Oakes is urging people to contact consumer body Post-watch on 08546 013265, or by writing to Freepost Postwatch.
26 March 2007

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1