http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/pos ... -1-5587955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman stashed letters and parcels he failed to deliver to ‘hundreds’ of Sheffield homes.
Post – including confidential and hospital letters – dating as far back as 2011 has started to arrive at households across Burncross, Grenoside and Chapeltown.
A Royal Mail letter of apology sent to homes said a quantity of post had been recovered ‘after allegedly being withheld from delivery by a Royal Mail employee’.
The service confirmed a postman was no longer with the company after an investigation.
Kim Winstanley, of Bowland Drive, Burncross, and husband Robin have complained of missing post in the past.
The 53-year-old said: “It was a big shock to find out it had been withheld, especially when I received a hospital appointment from 2011 which had been changed.
“We’ve had two delayed letters in a week and are expecting more. I’m concerned about what else might have gone missing.
“My son, who lives with us, has been looking for jobs so you think how many has he lost because of this?
“We are upset because they are important letters.”
Robin, 48, added: “I think it could affect hundreds of people. I reckon a good 90 per cent on this road have had this letter. I’ve spoken to neighbours who have had bank charges because of it.”
Royal Mail has not confirmed how many people are affected.
East Ecclesfield Coun Garry Weatherall, of Grenoside, has also started to receive delayed mail.
He said: “I’ve got bank statements and council papers a year late.
“I know another councillor has had the same letter, as has a friend in Grenoside – it must be pretty widespread.”
Royal Mail has apologised to customers affected and said anyone caught delaying mail would face serious disciplinary measures and possibly prosecution.
A spokesman added: “A postman from Chapeltown delivery office was suspended and is no longer with the business following an investigation into the intentional delay of a quantity of mail.
“Royal Mail has a zero tolerance approach to any dishonesty and that stance is shared by the overwhelming majority of postmen and women, who are honest and hard-working and who do all they can to protect the mail and deliver it safely.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postie suspended after hiding scores of letters and parcels
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postie suspended after hiding scores of letters and parcels
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
parcelboy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Postie suspended after hiding scores of letters and parc
Royal Mail has a "ZERO" policy to "DISHONESTY"unless its there managers. 
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Postie suspended after hiding scores of letters and parc
How very true given that I know one who was finally sacked after years of complaints and alleged fraud is now back and working at another delivery office...parcelboy wrote:Royal Mail has a "ZERO" policy to "DISHONESTY"unless its there managers.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Postie suspended after hiding scores of letters and parc
Normal rules do not apply to managers, they are not accountable for their actions, no matter how dishonest or deceitful they may be.TeeferTiger wrote:How very true given that I know one who was finally sacked after years of complaints and alleged fraud is now back and working at another delivery office...parcelboy wrote:Royal Mail has a "ZERO" policy to "DISHONESTY"unless its there managers.
We however, can be totally innocent, then disciplined/sacked on trumped up charges that are not proven, usually to protect a manager or one of their little pets.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.