ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Row over plans to hide Royal Mail sorting office

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Row over plans to hide Royal Mail sorting office

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/ ... -1-4992390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Plans to ‘hide’ the derelict mail sorting office in Northampton behind large advertising hoardings have split officials.

Royal Mail applied to Northampton Borough Council for permission to screen the former sorting office in Barrack Road behind three large advertising boards.

They said the move was needed to cover the fire-damaged building while they tried to find a new use for it.

But officials from Northampton Borough Council disagreed, arguing the adverts would make the site look worse.

A report written by Becky Gittins, from the council’s planning department, said: “Despite its current condition, the sorting office remains a local landmark and, while it is not universally appreciated, its uncompromising design is undoubtedly a feature of the local landscape.

“It is not considered that there is an over-riding need to screen the building, in-spite of its current condition.”

The former sorting office has stood empty since it was damaged by fire in 2003.

Tesco had planned to convert the building into a supermarket, but withdrew from the scheme in July last year.

Royal Mail now hopes to find another supermarket company to take over the building, but to date, none have come forward.

At the end of last year, Royal Mail applied for planning permission to screen the site with advertising boards for a maximum of two years, while the future of the building was decided.

In total, the adverts would have stretched almost 100ft across the front of the building.

Because of the adverts’ size, the council blocked the plans in January this year.

Royal Mail has since appealed to the national planning inspector over the council’s decision.

The planning inspector will now review the case and decide whether or not Guildhall officials were correct to turn down planning permission for the adverts.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Row over plans to hide Royal Mail sorting office

Post by clashcityrocker »

But officials from Northampton Borough Council disagreed, arguing the adverts would make the site look worse.

I have to say I find it difficult to see how they arrived at that conclusion.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Row over plans to hide Royal Mail sorting office

Post by DB1100 »

clashcityrocker wrote:But officials from Northampton Borough Council disagreed, arguing the adverts would make the site look worse.

I have to say I find it difficult to see how they arrived at that conclusion.
Good old local government, probably only came to that decision because none of them thought of it.
For we were soldiers once,and young
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Row over plans to hide Royal Mail sorting office

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:But officials from Northampton Borough Council disagreed, arguing the adverts would make the site look worse.

I have to say I find it difficult to see how they arrived at that conclusion.
It is possible if the adverts were advertising the site itself with a larger than scale photograph of the site.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Row over plans to hide Royal Mail sorting office

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I assume the councils objection is based on them not profiting from the proposal.
If there was something in it for the council it would be allowed immediately.

It isn't an attractive building though. Should just bulldoze and regenerate, assuming it isn't listed. Which, from the look of it, it shouldn't be.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.