http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/10316 ... r_charity/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A WIRRAL postman will get on his bike later this year for a fundraising trip to Paris.
John Monger, from Upton, will start his journey of more than 500 miles in June this year.
He will start by cycling to reach London, and will join another group of cyclists for the second part of his journey.
John aims to complete the entire journey in a week. Proceeds will be split between The Clatterrbridge Cancer Charity and Multiple Sclerosis Trust.
The 57-year-old said: "I wanted to take on a challenge to raise money for charity.
"I chose the Multiple Sclerosis Trust and The Clatterbridge Cancer Charity as my charities because two of the people on my rounds have been directly affected by the causes.
"Being a postman locally for twenty five years, you really do get to know the people and they become a big part of your life.
"When one was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and another with Cancer, I decided I had to do something to help.
"It's a huge challenge, but doesn't compare to the difficult times my customers are facing.
"I'm very lucky to have such wonderful friends, Aimee Parsons used to be a neighbour of mine years ago, she’s helped organise all my fundraising, and my friends Chris and Brian who I regularly cycle with are joining me for the first 120 miles to give me a good boost at the start. I owe a lot to them.
"It’s going to be a difficult, long, hard ride but the charities are so worthwhile."
Jade Barrett, community fundraising manager at The Clatterbridge Cancer Charity said: "Having met John recently I was blown away by his spirit and determination to make a success of this trip.
"He's been training hard and is excited to take on this challenge. I would like to thank John, his supportive family and wonderful friends for helping raise money for local cancer patients."
To support John, contact or send cheques payable to The Clatterbridge Cancer Charity or Multiple Sclerosis Trust to Upton Letter Delivery Office, Arrowe Park Road, CH49 9AA and state that you would like to support John Monger’s cycle, or contact the charity team at Clatterbridge on 0151 482 7948 or email fundraising@clatterbridgecc.nhs.uk
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Wirral postman on his bike to Paris for charity
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Wirral postman on his bike to Paris for charity
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Wirral postman on his bike to Paris for charity
Good luck to him,I wish I could get time off in June.
For we were soldiers once,and young