Royal Mail fund first dedicated Prostate Cancer UK nurse for Scotland
http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/magazine/21 ... -scotland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Royal Mail is synonymous with letters, red postboxes and early morning deliveries.
A gold coloured stamp, overflowing mail sacks, postmen and women battling through all weathers to reach your door – the imagery is endless.
But would you ever associate prostate cancer with the postal service?
Thought not.
However, that is all about to change as the Royal Mail Group fund Scotland’s first specialist Prostate Cancer UK nurse, who will serve the Glasgow area.
Stuart Little, who has been a nurse for 25 years, will provide support to men and their families who are affected by prostate cancer.
Stuart said: "It’s really exciting. I’m looking forward to the new challenge and to providing care and support for men across Glasgow.
"I grew up in Glasgow so I know the area really well.
"With my local knowledge, I hope I can help to make a difference by supporting men.
"My role will be really varied, which is why it is so exciting.
"I’ll also be working in various locations across the city, so that I reach men and their families affected by prostate cancer in their local communities."
As well as supporting those fighting the disease, which claims the lives of two men every day in Scotland, Stuart will be striving to raise awareness of prostate cancer.
He said: "I will be working hard to raise awareness amongst men about the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer.
"We really want to ensure that men look out advice and treatment as soon as possible.
"If cancer is diagnosed at an early stage treatment is often simpler and more likely to be effective.
"Every year in Scotland 2700 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer, and two men die of the disease every day, which is pretty shocking. And 19,000 Scottish men are currently living with the disease.
"In the Greater Glasgow and Clyde area, each year there’s an average of over 500 men diagnosed and 170 dying from the disease.
"That’s why the work of Prostate Cancer UK is so vital, and why I’m really looking forward to making a real difference to men living with this disease in my home city."
Speaking of Glasgow, why has the city been chosen to receive the first dedicated Prostate Cancer UK nurse?
Stuart explained: "Glasgow is a city that has undergone a massive period of change in recent years.
"It has witnessed major changes in its socio-economic make up resulting high levels of deprivation and associated ill health.
"If we can do our bit to offer support and advice to men in the community then this is a good thing."
For Stuart, who has in the past worked in oncology and as a specialist nurse in HIV/AIDS in refugee communities, it is important to put the patient at the centre of treatment.
He said: "I think that one of the most important skills that a nurse can have is the ability to listen what an individual needs.
"My main priority is to give plenty of time to men and their families to find out what they really want and where.
"I hope to help improve the service that men are being currently offered in these areas.
"By having an active and visible role in the community, the real difference will be in tackling prostate cancer head-on.
"If more men and the families see we are in the heart of the community they will be more aware and likely to come forward for support and advice."
Stuart’s appointment was made possible by the fundraising efforts of employees of Royal Mail, who in a charity partnership with Prostate Cancer UK, helped raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for the charity throughout the year.
The dedicated posties netted more than £480,000 during Movember by growing moustaches for sponsorship.
March is prostate cancer awareness month, so what advice would Stuart give to men who are concerned about their health?
"Men will often stick their heads in the sand when it comes to their health and hope a problem will just go away," he said.
"But prostate cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in men in Scotland, and often there are no symptoms.
"We also know that when there are potential signs of some other kind of prostate problem, some men still put off going to see their doctor.
"So I would urge men to find out more about their prostate and what can go wrong – check out our website - talk to their GP if they have any concerns.
"It’s really important that men – and women – start thinking and talking about this disease as that’s how we can all start making a difference."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail fund first dedicated Prostate Cancer UK nurse
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Royal Mail fund first dedicated Prostate Cancer UK nurse
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Royal Mail fund first dedicated Prostate Cancer UK nurse

?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Royal Mail fund first dedicated Prostate Cancer UK nurse
Glad it's not just me who has that image lolclashcityrocker wrote:
?
I suppose he can check small holes more easily?
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?