Quick-thinking postman delivers vital first aid to injured Yeovil man
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Quick-t ... z2LdLPiGqr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman quickly sprang into action when he discovered a man bleeding heavily from his head while on his routine delivery round in Kingsdon.
Michael Francis, 35, of Eastland Road, Yeovil, was delivering post in the village when he discovered Tim Owen minutes after he had fallen from a ladder while strimming a hedge.
Mr Owen was bleeding heavily and slipping in and out of consciousness.
A first aider for 21 years, Mr Francis helped stop the bleeding and bandaged Mr Owen until the paramedics arrived.
He said: “Mr Owens had a big cut to his head, suffered concussion and was in shock, so I grabbed my first aid kit from the van. His wife came out and said there was an ambulance coming.
“I wanted to deal with the bleeding so I put a dressing on his head and secured it with a head bandage and a bandana. It’s an old first aid skill that they don’t teach you anymore.
“It’s something I would do again if I came across it in the community. I always carry my first aid kit with me just in case.”
Now Mr Francis, who is based at Somerton Delivery Office, is trying to make sure all postmen who are trained in first aid are given their own kits. Shortly after the incident, he wrote to the chairman of Royal Mail with the request and was told the issue was being looked into.
He added: “I also put it to them that every office should have its own defibrillator machine. They are looking into it but it’s going to be a big investment.”
Mr Owen, 66, who spent a night in hospital after the incident, said he was very grateful for the postman’s quick thinking.
He said: “He’s a very-much liked postman in the village for obvious reasons. He cares about the people in the village and that’s much appreciated. It’s something that isn’t so obvious in this day and age.”
Mr Francis could also be rewarded by the company he works for after he was nominated for a Royal Mail Chairman’s Award.
Royal Mail manager Kevin Hext said: “Michael takes his role as the office first aider seriously and carries a first aid kit with him everywhere and on this occasion it proved to be very useful and earned him praise from the paramedics that attended the scene.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Quick-thinking postman delivers vital first aid
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Quick-thinking postman delivers vital first aid
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
SP115
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 17:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Location: Location
Re: Quick-thinking postman delivers vital first aid
Oh really? Must've been his own First aid kit as we dont have any in our Vans, Not a single one. Never-mind, When I cut myself on some peoples stupidly sharp letterboxes ill just bleed all over the mailTrueBlueTerrier wrote:so I grabbed my first aid kit from the van.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Quick-thinking postman delivers vital first aid
It's not something they teach any more because they reckon you should get the patient to hold the dressing to their own head!
And when one of our posties got his finger caught in one of those vicious l/boxes that has a strong spring on, the DOM asked if he'd apologised to the homeowner for bleeding on their mail and door lol
And when one of our posties got his finger caught in one of those vicious l/boxes that has a strong spring on, the DOM asked if he'd apologised to the homeowner for bleeding on their mail and door lol
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?