ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POSTMEN in and around Cheltenham are fuming after being banned from wearing shorts on their rounds.

Incensed workers based at the Swindon Road delivery office were told they had been banned because they might get frost-bite or chapped skin.

​
Health warning: Postmen were banned from wearing shorts during the cold winter weather

The health and safety ruling followed a postman grazing his leg when he fell over in the recent icy conditions.

But several of the depot's 200 postmen were furious at the ban because they prefer to wear shorts in all weather to keep their legs cool.

Some walk for up to 10 miles every day on their rounds and feel much more comfortable in shorts than trousers.

Yesterday, Royal Mail claimed that as temperatures had risen, the ban on shorts had been lifted.

But staff told the Echo that had not been made clear to them.

One, who asked not to be named, said: "We're all disgusted about it.

"I find wearing shorts much more comfortable as I feel more restricted in trousers and my legs do get warm."

He said he and another half-a-dozen colleagues felt strongly on the issue and were so used to wearing shorts in all weathers that they did not notice the cold.

The postal workers felt, he said, that the shorts ban had been over the top and it had been a case of health and safety gone mad.

He added that many of the staff were members of the Communication Workers' Union and, should the ban continue, it might get involved.

He said: "There's an agreement between Royal Mail and the union which stipulates the rules about uniforms and there's nothing saying you can't wear shorts.

Annoyed

"I'm very annoyed. I can't stand wearing trousers when I'm on the go all the time."

Another of the postmen, who also did not want to be identified, said the ban had started on Monday.

However, he added that some staff were still able to wear shorts because they were waiting for trousers to be ordered for them.

He said: "The manager came round on Saturday and said that if you wore shorts you would be sent home."

He said he understood the ruling followed a colleague having a grazed leg caused by ice spikes being attached to his shoes for extra grip during the cold snap.

He added that wearing shorts during colder weather often led to light-hearted exchanges with customers, which he enjoyed.

When the Echo contacted Royal Mail last night, spokesman Adrian Booth said: "Our priority is for the health and safety of our staff and risks of frostbite and chapped skin should not be taken lightly.

"Following a local incident in which a colleague was injured in a fall, we advised our staff in the Cheltenham area not to wear shorts, to reduce the risk of injury during severe local weather.

"Now weather conditions have improved, our staff have been advised that this guidance is no longer relevant."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16702
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by clashcityrocker »

There are so many inconsistencies in their arguments it is ridiculous.
They should have all just turned up in shorts - I doubt there is a sector left that could sustain more than 1 postie being sent home.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by newtimes »

Show them "Who Wears the Trousers" start wearing a skirt.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... anged.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by General Mannerheim »

Better still get all these look at me's and parachute the f***ers out to the edge of the Antarctic with a box of Door2Doors,first one to the centre gets to warm Moya's bed.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
somerset
Posts: 582
Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 16:23

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by somerset »

Just a bunch of posers . " Oh look at me wearing shorts when it is minus 3 degrees ,i am a big hero " Bet they don't wear shorts when they go out at night ?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16702
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by clashcityrocker »

Why do postmen/women who wear shorts provoke so much ire from their long-trousered colleagues.
Wanting to feel comfortable is not necessarily attention seeking.

Which of these is attention seeking?
Wearing a long-sleeved vest in cold weather?
Wearing a short-sleeved vest in cold weather?
Not wearing a vest at all in cold weather?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by doorstepped »

why are some posties on here so against others wearing shorts??

it really is a sad case of affairs when someone is worrying more about someone else than themselves.

I can assure you I am not a poser, I wear shorts almost all year round because thats how I feel comfortable when out on delivery, I don't wear them in snow / icy conditions because if I slip over I may cut / graze my legs, But once out on the street delivering I warm up very quickly and normally will be in a short sleeved shirt, and shorts no matter how cold it is. ( and no I am not a runner )

next we will be having footballers having to play in leggings?, Sir Bradley Wiggins in a duffle coat because it's a bit chilly?. Tom Daley in a onesie while practicing his diving?

worry about how you feel on your walks and not about others.

and yes, I wear shorts when I sometimes go out at night ( if I am not to knackered to go out ) but again, what the **** has it got to do with you what I wear and when.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by DB1100 »

clashcityrocker wrote:Why do postmen/women who wear shorts provoke so much ire from their long-trousered colleagues.
Wanting to feel comfortable is not necessarily attention seeking.

Which of these is attention seeking?
Wearing a long-sleeved vest in cold weather?
Wearing a short-sleeved vest in cold weather?
Not wearing a vest at all in cold weather?
Exactly,they are like a load of fishwives,sad people with nothing better to do,if people want to wear shorts so what,get a grip you old harpy's
For we were soldiers once,and young
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by fishtank »

You see i could almost buy the non-attention seeking argument but when you look around at other outdoor workers you don't see very many wearing shorts...even leaflet deliverers.
I think the problem isn't the wearing of the shorts which i couldn't really give a s**t about to be honest,it's the constant need to tell everyone sometimes via the courier or local newspapers,sometimes in the D.O..
This is my identity...I am ShortsMan...
Get over yourself...you're a grown man FFS.

Fish(wife)...fishing. :whistle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
somerset
Posts: 582
Joined: 08 Jun 2007, 16:23

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by somerset »

doorstepped wrote:and yes, I wear shorts when I sometimes go out at night ( if I am not to knackered to go out ) but again, what the **** has it got to do with you what I wear and when.
So i guess when you left primary school and went on to Comp or grammar shool . You continued to wear shorts then ? Get a grip of yourself man ? LOL
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Postmen's anger at shorts ban

Post by doorstepped »

somerset wrote:
doorstepped wrote:and yes, I wear shorts when I sometimes go out at night ( if I am not to knackered to go out ) but again, what the **** has it got to do with you what I wear and when.
So i guess when you left primary school and went on to Comp or grammar shool . You continued to wear shorts then ? Get a grip of yourself man ? LOL
nope, Borstall

best time of my life.