http://brockleycentral.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... cgill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lep Recorn has investigated a tragic piece of local history. He writes:
In the Brockley sorting office public area where packets and parcels are collected, there is a plaque “In memory of Sean McGill died 30. 10. 92. Aged 22.”
The 30th October 1992 was a Friday. Sean McGill was a postman and gave a colleague a lift home to Nunhead. He was driving a post office Bedford van with sliding doors, and was not wearing a seat belt. As he returned from Nunhead driving over the railway bridge on St Asaph’s Road he lost control of the van on the bend. He was thrown from the van and crushed to death by it as it rolled over him.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
In memory of Sean McGill
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
In memory of Sean McGill
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: In memory of Sean McGill
Just read the story behind it, very sobering, this must have contributed to vans with sliding doors being replaced, too many accidents, some of the lads had the doors slamming on their hands, I must admit as I was a similar age to Sean McGill, I did drive with the doors open and no seatbelts, we didn't consider the dangers then.
RIP Sean McGill there but for the grace of God go I.
RIP Sean McGill there but for the grace of God go I.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: In memory of Sean McGill
Only recently, with getting in and out of a van hundreds of times a week, i was thinking that sliding doors would be a good idea, but hadn't thought of such safety issues.NWpostie wrote:Just read the story behind it, very sobering, this must have contributed to vans with sliding doors being replaced, too many accidents, some of the lads had the doors slamming on their hands, I must admit as I was a similar age to Sean McGill, I did drive with the doors open and no seatbelts, we didn't consider the dangers then.
RIP Sean McGill there but for the grace of God go I.