Couple slash house price by £200,000 to escape noisy neighbourhood ‘hell’
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/loca ... -1-5042695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A DESPERATE couple have slashed £200,000 off the price of their luxury historic home to escape their neighbourhood “hell.”
Pensioners Tony and Patricia Gibson, from Washington, said they feared death would come before any sale.
Retired painter and decorator Tony, 69, said: “I fear the only way out of here is in a box. This is killing us off.”
They claim their five-bedroomed detached house in Windlass Lane, Albany Village, is caught between a nearby noisy Royal Mail sorting office and a busy pub.
In more than two years on the market, they have yet to have an offer for the 160-year-old property.
They also say they often spot potential buyers driving away without stopping after seeing its surroundings.
The great-grandparents bought the house – once the home of the Washington F Pit managers – 43 years ago.
It has three bathrooms, extensive gardens and an annex flat, and was originally marketed at £550,000.
The couple allege postal vans wake them around 6am and staff cause disruption parking outside their home and on double yellow lines.
And they claim there is also noise from the Duke of Albany pub, which forces them to keep their windows shut and stops them enjoying their garden.
Mr Gibson and his 68-year-old wife say their complaints to council, pub and Royal Mail chiefs have fallen on deaf ears.
He added: “We’ve dropped the price substantially, we just want out.
“We retired to enjoy life, not to have to suffer this.”
Washington Labour MP, Sharon Hodgson, who has been looking into their claims for five years, said: “I have every sympathy with the unique situation they are in.
“I have taken all the steps I can to ensure that the issues they have are dealt with by the relevant bodies, and I will continue to do so.
“Unfortunately, it’s not always possible for me to get constituents the result they want and that has been true in this case.”
The Royal Mail spokeswoman Jennifer Bird confirmed the matter was being investigated, adding: “The delivery manager will speak directly to Mr Gibson to discuss this matter fully.
“Royal Mail always tries to be a good neighbour and we hope to have a constructive dialogue on this matter.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy DO
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy DO
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
So were the noisy Royal Mail sorting office and the busy pub built either side of the five-bedroomed detached house in Windlass Lane AFTER Tony and Patricia Gibson moved in ? 
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
This is what makes me laugh around here sometimes... they built a load of retirement flats/sheltered accommodation type things in between the 2 night clubs in Llandudno, then complain about the noise?! And the houses built and moved into AFTER Manchester Airport was built and operational and then complain about the noise of the planes?Lounge Lizard wrote:So were the noisy Royal Mail sorting office and the busy pub built either side of the five-bedroomed detached house in Windlass Lane AFTER Tony and Patricia Gibson moved in ?
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
Perhaps not the DO looks as though it was built in the late 70s early 80s looking at the style. The couple have been there 43 years according to the article.Lounge Lizard wrote:So were the noisy Royal Mail sorting office and the busy pub built either side of the five-bedroomed detached house in Windlass Lane AFTER Tony and Patricia Gibson moved in ?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
Had a look at the house on google and nobody was ever going to pay over half a million for a house that basically looks like it's buried in the middle of an industrial estate.
I think the ridiculous asking price had people driving away pissing themselves laughing more than anything else.
And BTW advertising the fact that it's noisy as hell won't do much for your chances of selling it either.
Location,location,location as Phil and Kirsty would say.
I think the ridiculous asking price had people driving away pissing themselves laughing more than anything else.
And BTW advertising the fact that it's noisy as hell won't do much for your chances of selling it either.
Location,location,location as Phil and Kirsty would say.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
It is a bit crap, I've seen better, the area doesn't have much to recommend it, the DO is not right next to the house, its separated by a car park, I think its more a case of the older people getting the more grumpy and less tolerant as they age, something I experience a lot on my round, the biggest moaners tend to the grumpy old gits with no life.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
I remember when this was all fields. 

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
I couldn't believe it when I heard myself saying that about 6 years ago...TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I remember when this was all fields.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
"Yr wyf yn cofio pan oedd hyn yn yr holl feysydd"TeeferTiger wrote:I couldn't believe it when I heard myself saying that about 6 years ago...TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I remember when this was all fields.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Couple slash house price by £200,000 - Because of Noisy
Lounge Lizard wrote:"Yr wyf yn cofio pan oedd hyn yn yr holl feysydd"TeeferTiger wrote:I couldn't believe it when I heard myself saying that about 6 years ago...TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I remember when this was all fields.![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?